Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this called and where do I buy one???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this called and where do I buy one???

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alnico_magnet_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	867150

I know I can make one with two magnets and a clamp. But I would like to eventually have one of these.

-Robert

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]22098[/ATTACH]

I know I can make one with two magnets and a clamp. But I would like to eventually have one of these.

-Robert
    That is a (appears to be) magnetize / demagnitizer tool. They come in all shapes / sizes. This one (pictured) is a specialized type, for a certain application.
    Here is a cheap one from Sears: Craftsman Magnetizer, Magnet, and Demagnetizer - Tools - Hand Tools - Screwdrivers
    (Primitive but does the same job)
    However, there are many different shapes and sizes of this tool.
    The one you have is made to have interchangeable magnets, gap sizes...
    It is used to magnetize demagnetize tools, screwdrivers, pliers, and is popular among watchmakers and other crafts persons....

Comment

Needless to say it's not powerful enough to charge alnico rods or bars to full capacity. You need some good sized neodymium magnets for that.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
        Needless to say it's not powerful enough to charge alnico rods or bars to full capacity. You need some good sized neodymium magnets for that.
        Why do you say that? Those neos are larger and stronger than the 1" magnets that most people use.... There is no reference for size but I am assuming that those mags are at least 2" in diameter.

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
          I see two things wrong with it.
          1. it looks non adjustable.
          2. Like DK said not big enough for Bar Magnets.
          Long bar magnets are harder to get a consistent charge, than short rod magnets.
          long neos in a vise is ideal for Humbucker bar magnets.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Just do this:

It's adjustable, and the metal vice completes the circuit.

I usually use two larger magnets on each side.

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	raygun.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	828220
              The Magnetic Raygun also works for recharging magnets, but it scares too many customers away.

Comment

Hello David Schwab,
                I want to build the magnet charger you have shown. I have all the parts could you just explain the orientation of the magnets or will it be the same no matter because the circuit is complete?
                Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by SpareRibs View Post
                  Hello David Schwab,
                  I want to build the magnet charger you have shown. I have all the parts could you just explain the orientation of the magnets or will it be the same no matter because the circuit is complete?
                  Thank You
                  Just figure out which side is north and south with a compass, and arrange them accordingly. One side of the clamp face north inwards and the same with south on the other side of the clamp.

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
                    One side of the clamp face north inwards and the same with south on the other side of the clamp.
                    Yep. North facing in on one side, South on the other.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Just be really careful with multiple neos. Wear gloves and eye protection. Be really methodical and don't let the magnets slam into each other as they have a bad habit of shattering explosively. They are nickel plated to look like metal but they are very brittle inside, more like fired ceramic. The shards are very sharp.

I've seen even small ones jump huge distances and the results are often not very pretty. A safer way to deal with them is to stick one on a thin piece of sheet metal and the stick that to the vise jaw. You can slide the sheet metal out afterwards.

Comment

I had a bunch of bookmarks where to buy NEOs, after my last Laptop died, they are gone.
                        Where do you guys buy NEOs, I forgot, and lost the bookmarks?
                        T
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                          I had a bunch of bookmarks where to buy NEOs, after my last Laptop died, they are gone.
                          Where do you guys buy NEOs, I forgot, and lost the bookmarks?
                          T
                          K&J Magnets

K&J Magnetics - Strong Neodymium Magnets, Rare Earth Magnets
                          Take Care,

Jim. . .
                          VA3DEF

Comment

Magnet orientation

Hello,
                            Would it be possible to change the orientation on ceramic magnets from top being north, bottom
                            south to the sides being north and south like humbucker magnets using the neo magnet setup ?

Comment

Originally posted by SpareRibs View Post
                              Hello,
                              Would it be possible to change the orientation on ceramic magnets from top being north, bottom
                              south to the sides being north and south like humbucker magnets using the neo magnet setup ?
                              Not with neos. It's very hard to charge or recharge ceramic magnets.

Comment

Working...
                              X