Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alamo paragon 2575 help

Hey everyone,

I have an ALAMO Paragon Bass Amplifier model #2575 stamped in NOV 1974.

Picked up the head and cab in mid 2000's at a pawn shop in Toronto for 200 bucks. A STEAL!

Best amp I have owned and played bass on (admittedly I haven't played through many) and nothing sounds like it.

Tubes are 2 6l6s and 1 ax712

That being said, I was recording an album with it and it mysteriously stopped working. Right after the unit began to smell and now refuses to send any sounds out. When I had my bass plugged in and was playing it, you could hear the channel going through the tubes but no sound came out of the amp.

I was told there is a problem with the output transformer but the tech got lazy and couldn't finish the job.

Wondering if anybody has some advice about getting this repaired or about schematics...I have come across some other members of this site posting about alamo paragons. There doesn't seem to be too much info on the web about this particular model of amp!

Here are some pics, thanks again.
    Chris.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0606small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	677.5 KB
ID:	867152Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0604small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	729.9 KB
ID:	867153

Originally posted by inthedark View Post
    When I had my bass plugged in and was playing it, you could hear the channel going through the tubes but no sound came out of the amp.
    That is typical of an amp that is not connected to a speaker load, which is very bad for the amp. Do not continue testing in this manner. In an earlier thread there was a discussion about how the front and rear speaker jacks in these amps were wired in series. I guess that if these jacks failed, they could cause the problem and if left unrepaired, it could eventually cause damage to the output transaformer.

Have the jacks tested and the output transformer as well. Hopefully the transformer is ok and the wiring and jacks is all that needs to be fixed.

Comment

Yeah it looks like the OP 'heard' the output transformer singing, not the tubes.

Comment

Working...
      X