Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Winder building tool? (a bit OT, but it is a tool!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Winder building tool? (a bit OT, but it is a tool!)

While I am waiting for my traverser motor, I realize I may have been better off to build my new winder with the technology in this video.

The future of manufacturing?

This just blew me away! You can pick up one of these babies for a mere $2,199 U.S. . .

The MakerBot Replicator 2

My birthday is coming up guys if you are wondering what to get me!
    Last edited by kayakerca; 02-27-2013, 01:44 PM.
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
    While I am waiting for my traverser motor, I realize I may have been better off to build my new winder with the technology in this video.

The future of manufacturing?

This just blew me away! You can pick up one of these babies for a mere $2,199 U.S. . .

The MakerBot Replicator 2

My birthday is coming up guys if you are wondering what to get me!

The Makerbot would be nice if you wanted your winder made of plastic.

Comment

Would be pretty easy to print out in 3D things like Bobbin mounting plates ... even 1 off custom bobbins

Actually I really like the 3D scanner in the first vid. You could work out exact pickup construction (winding pattern & TPL) without having to destroy it

Comment

The makerbot has been around for some time now. There are better machines out there though. Particularly ones that are capable of printing in filler material that can be washed out afterwards. This would open up more possibilities as sometimes the shape requires some sort of support to be feasibly printed. If you are really interested in this. Check out Shapeways. They have an entire library of printable "shapes" that can be ordered and will even print your own shapes for you as well. Also keep in mind that with the makerbot, the printed pieces require further refining afterwards, such as trimming, sanding, polishing, you get the idea.

-Rob

Comment

Very cool. With the ability to scan an object you could "Fax" real items rather than just a facsimile.

Just wait 5 years and they'll be $99 at Walmart

Comment

You can buy 3D printers now. They are less then I would have expected.

I had some bobbin flatwork made on a 3D printer once. But it was a printer that extruded hot plastic. It didn't use the powder in that first video.

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

3-D Printed Car Is as Strong as Steel, Half the Weight, and Nearing Production | Autopia | Wired.com

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
              X