Vintage Gibson Alnico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Gibson Alnico

I thought I would share an interesting vintage detail about gauss level of vintage Gibson Alnico.

I know Gibson charged their own magnets. I talked to a lady that charged them at Gibson in the early 60's. I'm pretty sure they were charged in a block. You can charge Alnico this way but it won't be fully saturated. You will end up with a charge about 80% of full saturation. The problem with doing this is if Alnico is not fully saturated it is more prone to losing a charge over time. Even if you degauss alnico to calibrate the charge you are supposed to first bring the charge up to full saturation and then degauss or "condition" the magnet to the desired charge level.

If you want to experiment with this set the N/S blocks on your charger to the width of a P.A.F. cover. Put a magnet in a dummy humbucker and charge it. That will be your full saturation reference. Then take 3 bar magnets and set them on a block of wood that centers the magnet on the charger. Charge those magnets and read the gauss level and tell me what you get. I get 80% of a full saturation give or take. On my charger I can stack bar magnets up in a block of 6 tall and 3 wide when the charge heads are set this distance.

This method of charging explains why P-90 magnet especially lose charge over time. They were never fully saturated and they have both south poles of the magnets facing each other. The good part is the low charge is one reason for the great tone of vintage P-90's.
    They don't make them like they used to... We do.
    www.throbak.com
    Vintage PAF Pickups Website

That's some fascinating info, and a prime example of why I love this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by JGundry View Post
      I know Gibson charged their own magnets. I talked to a lady that charged them at Gibson in the early 60's. I'm pretty sure they were charged in a block.
      Seymour Duncan Factory Tour - Magnetizing bar magnets
      Take Care,

Jim. . .
      VA3DEF

Comment

Damn!
        Check out the phase-checking gismo for humbuckers at 7:30 If it's good enough for SD I'd think everyone would want one.

Comment

Seymour is doing one magnet at a time which is smart. As I said I'm pretty sure Gibson did them in stacks in the early 60's to save time so I think it is a safe assumption they did in the 50's as well.
          www.throbak.com

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
            Damn!
            Check out the phase-checking gismo for humbuckers at 7:30 If it's good enough for SD I'd think everyone would want one.
            Is there a kit for that?
            Take Care,

Jim. . .
            VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
              Damn!
              I saw that! I wonder how it works exactly?
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                I saw that! I wonder how it works exactly?
                I'm just shocked that Emelda has worked there for 10 years!
                Last edited by JGundry; 02-27-2013, 08:54 PM.
                www.throbak.com

Comment

Working...
                X