• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a HotRails pro....

Anyone?

-Rob

What exactly is your question?
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Sorry I was running out the door.

I have a customer with a Duncan HR. He says he has tested it properly and it is not working. He would maybe like to have it repaired if possible but I have no experience building these so I am not going to work on one. Who is confident and experienced in their abilities and wants the referral??

-Robert

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
        Sorry I was running out the door.

I have a customer with a Duncan HR. He says he has tested it properly and it is not working. He would maybe like to have it repaired if possible but I have no experience building these so I am not going to work on one. Who is confident and experienced in their abilities and wants the referral??

-Robert
        You might start by resoldering all the connections. That might fix it.
        A lot of us make rails, but don't know how The SDs go together?
        DS might know?
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          DS might know?
          Who??

-Rob

Comment

Who??

-Rob
            The Mod!
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

OK, I have to ask, how was it "tested properly" and what is not working about it?

The newer Duncan rails have the coils connected to a circuit board on the bottom. The older ones used wires. I have two here, an old one and a new one that went bad because they basically fell out of their covers, and the connections were broken. I'm sure the owner trying to fix them helped break them.

I have some photos somewhere, or I can take a new photos of the pickups.

So the first thing I would check is the connection of the coils to the circuit board.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

The Mod!
                I thought he was a Rocker, I guess we should ask him sometime.

Comment

Based on this diagram - http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/...501015-100.pdf

I had told him to twist together Red with White, and Green with Bare.

And test for continuity through the Green/Bare, and Black.

Other than that, and his insistence he's tested it right, and seems to think there is a problem with both coils - I have no more information.

-Rob

Comment

Anyway, I told him I could refer him to someone who could do the work.

There IS a caveat...he's in Australia. What that mean's for you, is that the return shipping is gonna be about 24$

If you want it David, it's all yours; I can send him your way and you can talk to him about your prices, etc.

-Rob

Comment

Anyway, I told him I could refer him to someone who could do the work.

There IS a caveat...he's in Australia. What that mean's for you, is that the return shipping is gonna be about 24$

If you want it David, it's all yours; I can send him your way and you can talk to him about your prices, etc.

-Rob
                      Wouldn't he be better off to just buy another one?
                      If the shipping is going to cost more than it's worth?
                      Terry

Comment

Well, I think it might be a non PCB, since he referred to it as "vintage" ....maybe vintage to him...heh. But, uh, yeah. He won't be heart-broken; just really liked the pickup, I guess.

-Rob

Comment

Yeah, might just make more sense to buy a new one. I don't think the old ones sound different.

But if he wants to keep it because it's an old one, I can kind of see that too.

Just to rewind that would put it over the price of a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                            Just to rewind that would put it over the price of a new one.
                            "Sir, I can repair your pickup but with one catch- I have to use the currently available parts so it will look exactly like the new models from Seymour Duncan."

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
                              "Sir, I can repair your pickup but with one catch- I have to use the currently available parts so it will look exactly like the new models from Seymour Duncan."
                              They are about $64 new, and I charge $50 a coil for rewinds (which is about the going rate) so.... Not worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X