Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schatten - 2 new winders (not an ad, just a "hey look what's new")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schatten - 2 new winders (not an ad, just a "hey look what's new")

I was wondering why you couldn't find a Schatten winder in stock anywhere, turns out, they were developing 2 new "hand guided" models. They now have a "regular" and a "heavy duty" ranging from $270 to $440. Seem to have a couple new features like directional winding CW/CCW and an optional $80 foot control on the heavy duty version. To bad they are still using the flat bar for mounting bobbins. A sculpted bar to accommodate any number of bobbin types would not seem to be much of a big deal. And if you live under the illusion that double sided tape is "the only way to go" when it comes to mounting bobbins, you're living in a cave, Plato's Cave to be exact.

I feel pretty good about what Steve and I are working on as for the equivalent of the heavy duty version, I am into ~ $110 for controller board and motor delivering the functionality of the Schatten style winder (before any brackets) and about $450 for the full CNC version (all new parts at retail, but a traverser motor substitute could be had for a lot less on ebay).
    Last edited by kayakerca; 02-28-2013, 08:37 PM. Reason: Correct type on Jim's winder costing - $125 not $225
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Those Bastids.... they're trying to compete with the up and coming Adams Winder. Though, the lower priced kit version is somewhat attractive....

-Rob

Comment

The B Model tested through 3 Million winds, C model through 10 million winds.

Inquiring minds want to know - how is a wind defined? A single rotation? 5k rotations? Is is simulated through applying resistance to the motor? Or are they truly winding bobbins just as we are?? Certainly, unless they have their own smelter and can make their own wire, they cannot afford to wind 10 million 5-6k bobbins. I smell word trickery, and it stinks - just like snake oil.

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
        I was wondering why you couldn't find a Schatten winder in stock anywhere, turns out, they were developing 2 new "hand guided" models. They now have 2 kite versions, a "regular" and a "heavy duty" ranging from $270 to $440. Seem to have a couple new features like directional winding CW/CCW and an optional $80 foot control on the heavy duty version. To bad they are still using the flat bar for mounting bobbins. A sculpted bar to accommodate any number of bobbin types would not seem to be much of a big deal. And if you live under the illusion that double sided tape is "the only way to go" when it comes to mounting bobbins, you're living in a cave, Plato's Cave to be exact.

I feel pretty good about what Steve and I are working on as for the equivalent of the heavy duty version, I am into ~ $225 for controller board and motor (before any brackets) and about $450 for the full CNC version (all new parts at retail, but could be a lot cheaper off ebay).
        For the Price, they still look like Toys IMO!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I think it's nice to be able to wind in both directions on one side of the machine, though. The cheap one DOES look cheap. The expensive one looks more like it's worth anything. I emailed them about the testing claims. Still waiting to hear back.

-Rob

Comment

Here's the link: Schatten Coil Winding Machine

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              For the Price, they still look like Toys IMO!
              T
              You mean mine and Steve's Terry? ? ?
              Take Care,

Jim. . .
              VA3DEF

Comment

You mean mine and Steve's Terry? ? ?
                Nope!
                I was talking about the Schatten stuff in the plastic housings.
                Yours and Steve's Efforts look Fine As Frog Hair to me!
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Nope!
                  I was talking about the Schatten stuff in the plastic housings.
                  Yours and Steve's Efforts look Fine As Frog Hair to me!
                  T
                  Would that be the Mississippi Gopher Frog or the Southern Leopard Frog?
                  Take Care,

Jim. . .
                  VA3DEF

Comment

Would that be the Mississippi Gopher Frog or the Southern Leopard Frog?
                    Arkasas Bull Frog!
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Arkasas Bull Frog!
                      T
                      We used to eat a lot of Bull Frog legs with I was a kid. I mean a LOT! Back in the day, there were so many it was almost deafening at night with the window open that faced the swamp out back at the lake.
                      Take Care,

Jim. . .
                      VA3DEF

Comment

Well the new Schatten winders look like an improvement, but the heavy duty machine should be the standard model. I have the old one with the metal enclosure, and the main issue was the under powered motor and home made speed control which burned out.

I see the new ones are listed as having: "Both feature strong durable motors, proper motor speed controls" The foot pedal is nice.

He really need to use a nicer looking piece of composite wood stuff. And the new ones use ABS enclosures. Still way over priced.
                        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Hi Robert.

A wind is one complete revolution and the numbers are what we would expect to be the minimum out of our machines.

Rod Rose
                          Sales Manager
                          Schatten Design Acoustic Pickups
                          Schatten Design - Pickups, Transducers, Tools, Technical materials for the string instrument repair trade
                          877-633-0177

----- Original Message -----
                          To: sales@schattendesign.com
                          Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:25 PM
                          Subject: new winders

Your website says that the B Model is tested through 3 Million winds, and C model through 10 million winds.

Inquiring minds want to know - How is a wind defined?

-Robert Gwynn

What this means for you is that the B Model is tested to turn out around 333 Pickups (@9000 turns each) - And the C Model is tested to turn out at least 1111 pickups (@9000 turns each). I hope this helps anyone thinking about buying.

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
                            Hi Robert.

A wind is one complete revolution and the numbers are what we would expect to be the minimum out of our machines.

Rod Rose
                            Sales Manager
                            Schatten Design Acoustic Pickups
                            Schatten Design - Pickups, Transducers, Tools, Technical materials for the string instrument repair trade
                            877-633-0177

----- Original Message -----
                            To: sales@schattendesign.com
                            Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:25 PM
                            Subject: new winders

Your website says that the B Model is tested through 3 Million winds, and C model through 10 million winds.

Inquiring minds want to know - How is a wind defined?

-Robert Gwynn

What this means for you is that the B Model is tested to turn out around 333 Pickups (@9000 turns each) - And the C Model is tested to turn out at least 1111 pickups (@9000 turns each). I hope this helps anyone thinking about buying.

-Rob
                            Think I'll stick with my newly built CNC winder.
                            Take Care,

Jim. . .
                            VA3DEF
                            ____________________________________________________
                            In the immortal words of Dr. Johnny Fever, “When everyone is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking.”

Comment

Working...
                            X