Tapped Pickup Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapped Pickup Options

Tapped Pickups seem to be in the conversation some lately.
    A thread of what you think are good DCR & Turns for different Tapped Pickups.
    Taps are easier with humbuuckers, because you already have two independant coils.(edit, this is known as a split not a tap)
    You just choose one or both coils.
    So if we start with Strat Pickups, what coil tap choices would you use.
    On a tapped strat set I would concentrate on the bridge Pickup.
    Like maybe 6.3-6.5k 42SPN Inner coil, then maybe 7.5k-8k Outer coil 44 Gauge.
    There would be even more flexibility with a Tele bridge pickup.
    So what coil taps do you think would make a good tapped pickup?
    T
    ** If you have any Pictures of Tapped pickups, that would be great!
    Last edited by big_teee; 03-18-2013, 06:38 AM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    Tapped Pickups seem to be in the conversation some lately.
    A thread of what you think are good DCR & Turns for different Tapped Pickups.
    Taps are easier with humbuuckers, because you already have two independant coils.
    You just choose one or both coils.
    I think you're confused about this. You're describing a split humbucker, not a tap. A tap is a lead attached midway in a wound coil which allows you to use less than the full coil if you wish. A split is when you bypass half of the pickup. I've built a couple of tapped humbuckers. What I did was wind normally, attach my lead, and then wind another 5-600 turn coil on top of that with it's own leads, and then switch it accordingly. Switched off it was a normal HB, on it was overwound with considerable stagger.

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
      I think you're confused about this. You're describing a split humbucker, not a tap. A tap is a lead attached midway in a wound coil which allows you to use less than the full coil if you wish. A split is when you bypass half of the pickup. I've built a couple of tapped humbuckers. What I did was wind normally, attach my lead, and then wind another 5-600 turn coil on top of that with it's own leads, and then switch it accordingly. Switched off it was a normal HB, on it was overwound with considerable stagger.
      You are correct, and I called it a tapped and it is a split humbucker.
      What I meant was that with the split you can use half of it easily.
      Was mainly wanting to discuss how others do Tapped SCs like Bridge Tele, and Strat SCs.
      But, we can discuss Humbucker taps, and splits also.
      I have done a ton of Humbuckers with 4 wire, but most folks use the hole humbucker.
      Just use either the pushback or the 2 wire with ground most of the time now.
      So, does anyone have any good ideas for SC Tapped coils?
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I dont think most of us have messed around with it too much, enough to really talk about what's good and bad anyway. I'm only in the theory stages of my ideas for where I want to go with it.

-Rob

Comment

Generally I've seen Tapped Pickups done like this (pretty sure it's whatmakers like Duncan and Warmoth are doing)

Wind up to about 6.60-7.00 then tap, aand push the total up to 13.00-14.80

Klein do a set of 42AWG "Vintage" tapped which is how I've done mine.

I use 7500 turns of 42HFV (5.6k) and tap, then put on another 800 to 1,000 turns of the same 42HFV to get it up around 6.3-6.5k

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrebird Steve View Post
            Generally I've seen Tapped Pickups done like this (pretty sure it's whatmakers like Duncan and Warmoth are doing)

Wind up to about 6.60-7.00 then tap, aand push the total up to 13.00-14.80

Klein do a set of 42AWG "Vintage" tapped which is how I've done mine.

I use 7500 turns of 42HFV (5.6k) and tap, then put on another 800 to 1,000 turns of the same 42HFV to get it up around 6.3-6.5k
            I did a Tele that was 6.5 & 8k.
            It always got played on 8k.
            Stratz does one that is 42 on inner coil and smaller on the outer coil.
            I would think 42, and 44 would make an interesting pickup.
            Say on a bridge 6.5 with 42PE, or SPN, then to full coil with the 44, maybe end up at 8-8.5k?
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
              I dont think most of us have messed around with it too much, enough to really talk about what's good and bad anyway. I'm only in the theory stages of my ideas for where I want to go with it.

-Rob
              I think your thinking about it wrong
              Think of a pickup model like telecaster bridge pup & the variety or different specs like vintage from 6.8k to 7.2k -that will be your first tap ,then think broadcaster, 7.7k to 8k will be your second tap.
              for some reason I tried to post this earlier with no success ,so this message was supposed to be posted before the last 2 post
              "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                I think your thinking about it wrong
                Think of a pickup model like telecaster bridge pup & the variety or different specs like vintage from 6.8k to 7.2k -that will be your first tap ,then think broadcaster, 7.7k to 8k will be your second tap.
                for some reason I tried to post this earlier with no success ,so this message was supposed to be posted before the last 2 post
                Yes mine, had the second tap like the broadcaster, and that is the only one that got used.
                Terry

Comment

Yes mine, had the second tap like the broadcaster, and that is the only one that got used.
                  Well that depends on your prefrence in tele pups .
                  Some players like twang instead of grawl
                  "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I think I will try a Strat bridge Pickup.
                    Wind the inner coil with small 42SPN, then make a outer coil with 44SPN until full.
                    I have a Test strat that has a Tap switch, that will work for testing.
                    I will take readings and pictures.
                    To make things interesting I will try a A2, A5 Magnet blend.
                    With a .430" spacing and staggered beveled magnets.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

The problem is that a tapped single is that it's still one pickup. The additional winding(s) effect the primary winding even when its not engaged so you have to design the pickup with that in mind.

I've played around with them but it's not something I've put a lot of time into.

Many builders have the right idea.
                      Advertising trumps all. Many players that pay big dollars for a "we use special everything" pickup are going to hear a "special everything" sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                        The problem is that a tapped single is that it's still one pickup. The additional winding(s) effect the primary winding even when its not engaged so you have to design the pickup with that in mind.

I've played around with them but it's not something I've put a lot of time into.

Many builders have the right idea.
                        Advertising trumps all. Many players that pay big dollars for a "we use special everything" pickup are going to hear a "special everything" sound.
                        I agree totally.
                        I hear that in Split Humbuckers.
                        If the unused tap is still connected , it still picks up some and effects the tone.
                        To get the full effect you would need a separate switch to connect the center in and out.
                        IMO Hype and Advertising is a big part of it.
                        Example: recent post of tapping from 5.2k to 4.5k ! Hype and salesmanship!
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

IMO Hype and Advertising is a big part of it.

T
                          A VERY big part of it.
                          If you want to be successful as a pickup builder these days it's best to get a degree in advertising before you order your kits and 1/2 lb spool of poly wire from Stew Mac

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                            A VERY big part of it.
                            If you want to be successful as a pickup builder these days it's best to get a degree in advertising before you order your kits and 1/2 lb spool of poly wire from Stew Mac
                            A BS degree, does not necessarily constitute, or Translate into Bachelor of Science!
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

Here is a picture of Phase 1 of my prototype.
                              It didn't photo real well, but maybe you can get the idea.
                              I cut the bottom forbon and moved the holes and eyelets around a bit.
                              I will probably redo an eyelet tomorrow.
                              I used the small red 42SPN in stock, and it is current around 6.8k at room temp.
                              I think I can get around 2-3k of 44spn on it tomorrow.
                              Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
                              Remember this is a prototype, and not a perfect finished product, Yet!
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X