No announcement yet.

North up vs. South up - Does it matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North up vs. South up - Does it matter?

What are your thoughts? Why did Fender make a permanent switch?

-Rob

It doesn't matter, but if you want your replacements to be in phase, you have to do them the same way.

Why did they change? Who knows.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

That is one of the great mysteries of pickup making, just like why Fender put 1meg pots in teles or why they quit potting pickups in wax
      www.angeltone.com

Comment

I'd love to see some frequency curves of the same pickup charged both ways. Charge North, test, degauss, charge South, test. Then it wouldnt be such a mystery anymore...

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
          I'd love to see some frequency curves of the same pickup charged both ways. Charge North, test, degauss, charge South, test. Then it wouldnt be such a mystery anymore...

Well don't forget that on some instruments, like the Jazz bass and Mustang, they have one of each. They don't sound any different.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

I've wired and polarized them difference ways.
            I can't tell any difference.
            There seems to be no standard way how everyone does single coils.
            Bobbin height, coil diameter, total turns, tension, wire size, & winding patterns, IMO are the most important factors.
            I always do RWRP in the middle unless told otherwise.
            I've never had a vintage Strat player complain about RWRP, after playing them.
            I wind most of my pickups on the right side Facing, Top going, or CCW.
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 03-04-2013, 03:44 PM.
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

My theory on the change is it coincided with a change in the tool that magnetized the pickups. Usually these types of changes happen when tools and manufacturing change. I believe wax potting was dropped to standardize potting. They didn't use wax on ALL pickups in the pre-CBS era. Usually PE wound pickups were dipped and Formvar were wax potted. Later they switched to one wire type and one potting system across the board.

Comment

Today's Strat style pickups seem to have pretty much been designated to CW/ south up. Tele pickups on the other hand can be a crap shoot.

Fun, ain't it

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                  Today's Strat style pickups seem to have pretty much been designated to CW/ south up. Tele pickups on the other hand can be a crap shoot.
                  Fun, ain't it
                  That works good.
                  With one exception.
                  Most commercial Humbuckers are wound CCW/North.
                  for a HSS guitar I like the middle to be CCW/S-up.
                  Neck N/CW. Or a Neck blade CCW/N, for HSH.
                  I'm sure that can be done differently.
                  Then if You split the H, You have RWRP, between bridge and middle.
                  I do that with my mini blades combined with SC middle.
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                    Most commercial Humbuckers are wound CCW/North.
                    Humbuckers have a North and South coil.

for a HSS guitar I like the middle to be CCW/S-up. Neck N/CW. Or a Neck blade CCW/N, for HSH. I'm sure that can be done differently. Then if You split the H, You have RWRP, between bridge and middle. I do that with my mini blades combined with SC middle.
                    If you are talking about slitting to just get the screw coils, just make your middle pickup CC/South up, or flip the magnets around in the humbuckers. As long as you give people at least 3 conductor wiring, it doesn't matter. If they are combining it with another pickup and it's out of phase, they can change the polarity.
                    Last edited by David Schwab; 03-05-2013, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Agreed there are all different ways to do it.
                      with a HSH, My way I can wind all coils CCW, my standard way of winding.
                      On a Split Bridge H, I feed the Slug coil, it is further from the bridge.
                      Like I say, this is all just individual preference.
                      I've tried it all different ways, that's my Pick.
                      I try to always feed the finish on SCs, to stay away from possible magnet shorting, and magnet noise when touching the pickup.
                      Last edited by big_teee; 03-04-2013, 05:41 PM.
                      Terry

Comment

I wind most of my pickups all in the same direction. When I do single coils, like Jazz bass pickups, I wind them opposite. This keeps the start of the coil at ground so they don't make noise if you touch the magnets.

I tried doing my humbuckers opposite for a short while, but it was a headache.

Comment

My theory on the change is it coincided with a change in the tool that magnetized the pickups. Usually these types of changes happen when tools and manufacturing change. I believe wax potting was dropped to standardize potting. They didn't use wax on ALL pickups in the pre-CBS era. Usually PE wound pickups were dipped and Formvar were wax potted. Later they switched to one wire type and one potting system across the board.
                          I had a mental picture of somebody burning themselves on a wax pot, so ever after everybody took turns deep breathing around the nitro potting can.

Check this out... a photo I found of a 1966 Tele lead with no potting of any kind at all! The string looks like it needs a shave. I also have an original 1960's Tele rhythm pickup here that was dunked in red lacquer. I used to think it was a victim of a really messy refin until I saw a much cleaner one just like it on Ebay.

ken
                          www.angeltone.com

Comment

Sorry about that... here are photos. My computer's cell connection is going nuts right now for some reason.

The 1966 Tele pickup has the white string.

The other one is a photo I found of a 1975 pickup with black string (!)

ken
                            Attached Files
                            www.angeltone.com

Comment

Working...
                            X