very loud popping-Roland Bolt 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very loud popping-Roland Bolt 60

Hi, My Roland Bolt 60 all of sudden has started to pop so loud that I think it may blow the speaker out. I changed the tubes and that didn't fix it. When I flip the stand by switch to turn the amp on it makes a loud pop, or if I touch the input jacks or any switches. It seems like something is shorted or a ground issue.

Any ideas what I can do?

thanks,
    Sean

Make sure there's continuity between chassis and the ground pin for a start. A loud pop when you touch the chassis suggests theres potential on it discharging through you. on the other hand a quiet pop when you touch it might be normal.

So it only pops when you switch it off standby (not unusual) and when you touch the chassis?

Comment

thanks for that info - i'll check that.

It's a LOUD pop - i can feel it. It happens when i touch input jacks, fx loop switch and it's loud when i turn the standby off to turn amp on. The standby switch noise goes away when i immediately try again. It seems like it's building a charge. I don't believe the caps were ever replaced. Could it be that?

There's a dedicated page for the bolt 60 Roland Bolt 60 and they talk about a standby switch mod, but i don't think that is my issue.

Comment

I'm also thinking of attempting to replace the caps and other components. Are those two transformers to the left and right? They look dried out. Should I replace them? where can i find this part? thanks for the assistance

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolt60inside.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	828353

Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt 30-60 service notes 6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	490.9 KB
ID:	828354

Comment

resolder the circuit board.

Comment

I got continuity on all outside jacks and switches except for the FX Loop switch. Could that be the issue?

Also, can I hook up one of those power attenuators (like a hot plate) and use that as a dummy load instead of the speaker.

Comment

I would re-solder all the boards before anything.

Comment

it's just one thing thats wrong, don't go replacing anything till you know what it is. There might be 200 possible causes, replacing the most expensive items you can see is not an economical way to go. You're just guessing.

If you can safely run it with the chassis open try going over it with a chopstick looking for something motion-sensitive that makes the pop, that component will need resoldering very likely, this might makes the resoldering quicker, but what folks are saying is that you might have a bad solder joint that is motion-sensitive. Or it could be something as simple as the input jack ground. And stop worrying about the pop on standby.

Comment

Do i need to replace the solder when I go through the board or reflow it? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Trick View Post
                    Do i need to replace the solder when I go through the board or reflow it? thanks
                    No, just add a little as you reflow, as needed to keep it flowing.
                    Also clean out the jacks.

Comment

Working...
                    X