Polarity Tester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polarity Tester

Got this off Amazon for about 15ish dollars. It's more worth the price if you can group it in with stuff for the free super saver shipping, I ordered a book. Anyway - works great. Oh yeah, one seller has them listed for $15ish, the other $145ish. They're both the same thing - so I'm guessing you know which one to go with....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BS0029.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	867175

-Rob

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
    Got this off Amazon for about 15ish dollars. It's more worth the price if you can group it in with stuff for the free super saver shipping, I ordered a book. Anyway - works great. Oh yeah, one seller has them listed for $15ish, the other $145ish. They're both the same thing - so I'm guessing you know which one to go with....
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]22323[/ATTACH]

-Rob
    Congrats, and enjoy!
    I use my compass, and my gauss meter.
    They both tell me which way is north and how to get home!
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I actually use one of those Schatten thingies from Stew-Mac. Saved me from having to make one.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]22323[/ATTACH]

-Rob
        Any 99 cent directional compass will check the polarity instantly.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	compass.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	828392
        And works just as well as any expensive test equipment.
        However, keep in mind that the north end of a compass needle can only point to the south pole....meaning that the planet is upside down.
        Is this too complicated for you to understand? Do you still wish to debate the issue?
        1. Is it that you thought the north end of the compass needle points to the north pole? You were wrong.
        2. OR is it that all compass needles are labeled backwards?
        3. OR is it that what you thought was the north pole, is actually the south pole? (this is the only correct answer)
        Last edited by soundguruman; 03-12-2013, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
          Any 99 cent directional compass will check the polarity instantly.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]22371[/ATTACH]
          And works just as well as any expensive test equipment.
          However, keep in mind that the north end of a compass needle can only point to the south pole....meaning that the planet is upside down.
          Is this too complicated for you to understand? Do you still wish to debate the issue?
          1. Is it that you thought the north end of the compass needle points to the north pole? You were wrong.
          2. OR is it that all compass needles are labeled backwards?
          3. OR is it that what you thought was the north pole, is actually the south pole? (this is the only correct answer)
          The north end of the compass, is north and not north seeking.
          One exception to this.
          If you get your compass too close to NEOs, all bets are off.
          You can make your compass read backwards, until you repolarize it.
          I know by experience.
          Either my compass was wrong, or my house had moved.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            One exception to this.
            I know by experience.
            Dude, your planet is upside down.
            North end of the compass can only point South.
            The South end of the compass can only point North...etc..etc..
            (those bloody Vikings)
            And the T man is correct, no argument, the compass must be kept 3-4 feet from the neo magnet.
            But observing that, it will read correctly, still.
            Last edited by soundguruman; 03-12-2013, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              I actually use one of those Schatten thingies from Stew-Mac. Saved me from having to make one.

I've one of those as well ... $9

STEWMAC.COM : Magnet Polarity Tester

Comment

Everyone's gonna have their preferred choice. But if dont have one, and you're shopping amazon - the free shipping makes it worth the price. If I had to pay shipping, then no, I would have kept using the compass for a while. It's a handy little tool, and completely fool proof - should you get a little scatterbrained one day.

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                  Dude, your planet is upside down.
                  North end of the compass can only point South.
                  The South end of the compass can only point North...etc..etc..
                  (those bloody Vikings)
                  And the T man is correct, no argument, the compass must be kept 3-4 feet from the neo magnet.
                  But observing that, it will read correctly, still.
                  yes, but the color has changed!
                  Terry

Comment

You can use a cheap compass from the dollar store ,Red end of the needle points to the south end of the magnet
                    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                      You can use a cheap compass from the dollar store ,Red end of the needle points to the south end of the magnet
                      Here you go.
                      Attached Files
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        One exception to this.
                        I know by experience.
                        A Neo changed the polarity of your compass ,really ...WOW could be bed if you navigating
                        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

A Neo changed the polarity of your compass ,really ...WOW could be bed if you navigating
                          Somehow I got them to close together.
                          I noticed that my house no longer faced East, it had moved to the west! lol
                          If you stand the compass on its end the needle can't move, and you can correct it.
                          Terry

Comment

It also points to the Earth's south magnetic pole... which is North. I don't know who screwed that one up. Or for that matter, why didn't they call that South on the compass' magnet?

If you make a polarity tester that uses a small neo, you don't have to worry about it changing it's polarity. I have the Schattern tester hanging from a wire from my lamp at my assembly bench. So it's always right there when I'm putting the magnets in.
                            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

If you have an iPhone, Arnold has a free app that has a built in polarity tester (among other mathematical magnetic calculations and such).

I generally use a the StewMac dealio for quick tests.

Comment

Working...
                              X