5E3 grid stopper resistors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E3 grid stopper resistors

Browsing Weber's book and I notice that all the post-tweed circuits have 2x 420K resistors from the power tube grids.

What exactly do they do? Is it worth fitting them to a 5E3 build?

I have no idea what circuit your looking at. Can you please post a schematic???
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

They're on all the Brownface fenders including the Pro 6G5 and the Super 6G4 - I'll try and find an online schematic to post

Comment

Screen resistors perhaps? 470 1watt?

Comment

Yes -they're the one's. What do they do & how come they're not on the earlier tweed circuits including the 5E3?

Comment

Earlier schemes have rather saggy B+ screen nodes, so excessive screen grid dissipation probably wasn't a problem.
            With a choke rather than eg 4k7 resistor, the screen grids are pushed much harder, and so limiting resistors are needed.
            Pete
            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

They are on most modern repros of 5E3, 5E# & 6L6/6V6 amps in general. You can use 1K 5W too.

They are like little 'shock absorbers' for the screens.

The 5E# amps didn't originally have them, but the larger 5E# amps drew B+ & screen supplies from the same node, meaning the screens ran at a higher potential than the plates, which is often considered bad practice. The large B+ to screen supply dropping resistors (5K) in 5E3s negated this issue, to some degree, but it is still a good idea to install the 470ohm resistors.

Comment

Thanks - will add some. Do they affect the tone in any way? Have also read that some people replace the 5k dropping resistor with a choke?

This is my second build and my aim was always to reproduce what my vox AC30 & Fender Tremolux do (including a second channel that can be used for vocals at rehearsals and small gigs) but in a smaller, lighter more compact package. I was going to move to a 2 x 6l6 build next but I don't think I need to - the amp sounds awesome and very loud. Plenty of variation in tone (have used a 6G3 tone circuit).

One slight niggle is that the volume comes in pretty loud at 1 - almost too loud - is this just the quality of the pots or is there a way of altering this?

Comment

No adverse effect on tone, only healthy benefits.

A choke is a possibility, of course, but in an amp like this will see you screen voltage rise even further with respect to the cathode biased plates...then you may want to fit even larger screen grid resistors, if this bothers you.

Did you use Alpha 1MA pots? They have a very fast taper. Is the output from the pots (feeding V2) coming off the centre pot tab, or the RH pot tab (I know you said 6G3 style, but you could conceivably wire either way & keep a 6G3 style circuit)?

Comment

If your vol pots are definitely audio taper (rather than linear) have a look at the Brown Deluxe 6G3 vole / tone / mixer arrangement -
                    http://www.webphix.com/schematic%20h..._6g3_schem.pdf
                    Suggest you consider swapping the 5E3 arrangement for that.
                    Pete
                    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Yes - they're 1 meg audio. The RH lug of the pot feeds V2 although looking at the 6g3 schematic it's the other way round. I'll try swapping it and see if it improves the taper.

Thanks again for helpful suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                      X