1961 Ampeg Reverbrocket (May 1961)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Ampeg Reverbrocket (May 1961)

Hello, Brand new to this sight. But I'm gonna give it a try.
    I own a 1961 reverbrocket R12R that I have a little trouble with. (One of my most favorite amps by the way). On the backboard is a partial schematic with about the top half missing but you can see where it was stamped may 1961.
    So anyway when you turn the amp on it takes about 30 seconds for the amp to come alive. By that I mean no sound right away but the little green light comes on right away. Then it will start to produce sound from the guitar, but also it has a big hum that lasts for about a minute then goes away and the amp is fine, and sounds great. it has a slight buzzing while your playin through it the rest of the time, but I think that seems normal. I must say that it still has the original tubes in the amp. Which some may find unusual. But there it is.
    I've replaced the tubes one by one to see if it changes and it does not. Still does the same little startup routine it's allways done.
    It has had some components replaced. The power transformer got replaced a few years back. Replaced with a mercury magnetics replacement. The filter cap canister has been replaced. Other than that I believe it's stock.
    But what is mainly concerning me is the loud hum you get when you turn the amp on. Then it goes away.
    Any help a wise amp person could give me would be great!!
    I have worked on amps a little bit. But I'm not anywhere near a repair person. But more like a components replacement copy the exsisting wireing type person.
    I don't realy want to send the amp off to a repair person. I live in rural Utah. So there is no repair shops around me for hundreds of miles.So I thought maybe I would give this sight a try and see if anyone could help me. See if I could possibly do the repair myself. Which I usually have to do on everything else anyway. Thanx Much!! For anyhelp in advance. Troy.
    **Edit
    This is the beginners Pickup Makers Area.
    I will Move Your Thread to the Amp Maintenance and repair!
    Terry
    Last edited by big_teee; 03-10-2013, 05:28 AM. Reason: Moved To The Amp Area!

From your description of the problem, my first thought was power supply caps, but you say "it" was replaced. However, what was it replaced with? A new multi-section cap, or an old one? Were all electrolytic caps replaced?

The R12R schematic I've got shows (6) 20 ufd caps in the power supply section. Also there's a 50mfd cap (C7) on the cathode bias on the power tubes as well as a couple of electrolytics on the preamp tubes. All these are due for replacement if any of them are still original. That's where I'd start. Make sure they are soldered in properly.

Comment

Ok, Thanx for the reply. The brown cap that is next to the power trans was replaced and also the canister that sits under the chasis next to the tubes was replaced. Other than that the rest are original. I purchased a little kit from fliptops I believe and that was all they sold me at the time. I found this web page 61 Reverberocket

And mine is exactly like this one. I cant see any difference at all. Thanx Again. Troy.

Comment

Working...
      X