Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot looking anode/plate resistors.

Hi,

I've got a Marshall DSL 100 with 4 cooked looking resistors... R48, R2, R3, R1. What could cause this?

R2 and R3 are in the anodes of the PI valve (V4)

R1 is the load resistor for V3b, a gain stage. R48 is on the cathode of V3a, a cathode follower.

I don't know what wattage they are. Assuming 1/2W it would take just over 3mA to take it outside spec.

jcm2-60-02.pdf

Can you help?

Any help with the cause of this?

The amp in question has been blowing fuses, and whilst I suspect the power tubes, I'd like to get to the bottom of this too.

Thanks,

Comment

Might the VB+ have risen, thereby causing excessive dissipation?
      eg amp operated without a full compliment of (functional) power tubes, intentionally or otherwise?
      Pete
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Thanks Pete,

do you think that one dodgy tube would really make that much difference? I don't know how much the rails jump by, but say 20V or so would only cause an increase in current of .2mA

:s

Comment

Agree one tube wouldn't impact, but some guys run with 2 of the 4 removed; then if another blew its screen grid resistor there would only one tube functioning. Or if there's a pre-amp output, some remove the output tubes for quiet recording etc.
          And if the node voltage rises then the whole LTP will draw more current, so it's a cumulative effect.
          I concede that it's a bit fanciful.
          Maybe someone tried an ECC82 in there.
          Replace the resistors and hopefully all should be ok.
          Pete

Comment

Yeah I see where you're going with it. Makes sense. Hmm. I guess like you say I'll just replace with higher W resistors and go.

Comment

Faulty power tubes can take out the PI resistors, ala Fender HR amps.
              Personally, I would ditch the PI tube & change out the power tubes, after replacing the resistors.
              You wouldn't want to go too high on the wattage rating, as the resistors act as fuses in a power tube melt down.
              So it's either the resistors that open or the copper trace that melts.

Comment

'Faulty power tubes can take out the PI resistors, ala Fender HR amps'
                Yikes, not aware of that - any idea what the mechanism is to causes it?
                Pete

Comment

The mechanism?
                  That I do not know for certain.
                  I see it a lot on Fender HR amps.
                  Somehow the faulty power tube pukes back into the PI.
                  Or makes the PI tube overconduct.
                  Again, I am only guessing.

Comment

I don't know how the power tubes would have anything to do with it, the PI plate resistors are isolated from the power tubes by capacitors. And I don't often see those caps bad. Just my opinion, but I write it off to under spec'd plate resistors. I could be wrong.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                    X