Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting tube chart in AB763 Twin Reverb (1964 Blackface) -- 7355 tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting tube chart in AB763 Twin Reverb (1964 Blackface) -- 7355 tubes?

Hey all-
    Was just curious if anyone out there has seen this:

I have a 1964 Fender Twin Reverb AB763
    The tube chart shows the tube outlines and where the 6L6s are, the chart shows 7355 tubes.
    Anyone know the story behind this?

Someone had taken a black marker and struck through the 7355 tubes and above it in pencil, is written 6L6.
    Not sure if this was done at factory or after.

Has anyone seen an early Twin Reverb that used 7355 tubes?
    I have it on the bench so I will grab the tranny number when I get home and post it.

Tim (in Nashville)

Huh. 7355 beam tube.
    Maybe Leo ran low on 6L6 tubes?
    Attached Files

Comment

I've seen an old Fender catalog where the output tubes were described as 7355s, but I don't know if Fender ever used them in any models.
      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
      - Yogi Berra

Comment

Interesting bit of Fender history. Stranger than the typical Fender anomalies.
        Can you post a photo of that tube chart?
        Cheers,
        Tom

Comment

Ok.
          Looks like this is the AC tranny:

Marked in white ink on top face TB3464
          Marked in white ink on bottom face C.S.A. Test
          Stamped on bottom face 125P34A and underneath that 606412

By all accounts it appears to be mid 1964.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tubechart.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	828425
          Last edited by timrichter9; 03-14-2013, 04:55 PM. Reason: add picture

Comment

saw this from another site. Authority unknown:

Hello macguy,,,,,,Jazzguy stated the obvious,"Fender changed to 6L6GC's" The new box was coming out in late August and September of "63", there were a bunch that went out with the 7355's many of them went back to Fender and authorized dealers to be outfitted with 6L6GC's. As always, Leo and company used up the tube charts till they was gone. Mine has trannies and caps dated 42nd week of 63 and the correct tube chart with the 7355's All markings and soldering in the chassis confirm that it was 6L6GC equipped. This amp you linked up is dated June of 64 and the 50V Mallory cap is dated 16th week of 64, it would be a stretch to see this thing come out of Fullerton with the 7355's. Anyhow, ask a bunch of questions and view more photos, anything could have happened. I have seen those tube retainers on military equipment, but not that type on a Fender product, Leo was cost conscious. Although, it could be my first time. Later, gmein

Comment

Working...
            X