No announcement yet.

Stacked Strat Bridge Pickup project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terry, where did you end up with this one?

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      I was asked to post some more pictures of the Strat Humbucker bobbin prototype Pickup.
      It is not too pretty, and is a 2.0 prototype that has been beat on quite a bit.
      A new 2.0 can be made to look better, and this was the test bed and the starting point for the 3.0 forbon flatwork model.
      Here it is. Middle pickup in the pickguard.
      A full description of specs and how-tos are throughout the thread.
      Good Luck,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23948[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23949[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23950[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23951[/ATTACH]
      Hi Dan:
      It wound up like above post 50.
      The only thing I changed was I did the 4/2 magnet scheme.
      I used 4 A2s on the high strings, and A5s on the E & A.
      I only made the one.
      It is a pretty good pickup.
      The advantage of the stack over a strat sized blade is the vintage look with rod magnets.
      The advantage of the blade, IMO its just a better pickup, and is a true humbucking humbucker.
      Also The problem with blades, with Teles is the extremely wide spacing, and the blades are not wide enough.
      So the Tele Stack bridge is a good fit and good aplication.
      I recommend 2 full coils of 44 gauge wire for stacks because of the inherent brightness.
      Both coils in series will net around 21k ohms for a Bridge P/U.
      The bridge was the only stack I made.
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 01-25-2014, 08:44 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I made my first actual stack tonight. It was quite a success. I was near the end of a roll of 43PE and figured what the hell let's try this. I didn't quite finish the bottom coil mostly out of laziness, as I have more wire; but I figured a little mismatch never hurt a humbucker. It came out to about 10k. I built the bobbin, magnets all the way through, with the Kinman stagger and put a pigtail soldered to the eyelet through the center-hole and wound the top coil first. Then I crossed the wire down to the bottom through a notch and wound that coil, same direction. Then soldered the end to the eyelet. I've read a lot of the stack/noiseless threads; and yeah there is definitely a loss in the bottom end and a tele-like quality to it. But man, whatever I did - it changed my playing. You just can't fake these kind of tones. I can't wait until tomorrow afternoon when I can crank the amp and see how it really performs. I know I could have done 4 eyelets and had two modes of operation; but I really just wanted simplicity. I just wanted to fill the middle position which was empty for a while, for no good reason. Btw, if you guys haven't tried the Kinman stagger on your pickups, do it. Fender's clinging to a relic of the past that can't compare as far as that goes. It has much better balance between strings. I'd post pictures of the pup but it's already in the guitar.

Comment

I looked at his site, and I didn't see much stagger.
          10k DCR is pretty low wound for a stacked pickup.
          Stacks are inheritly bright, I wound mine up to around 20k, more like Duncan specs.
          I made the one demo stack, and like most of these specialty pickups the benefits, usually don't warrant or offset all the extra efforts.
          I make all different pickups, and usually always end up for myself back to making and playing humbuckers.
          Some Hot, some not.
          Have fun whatever you're winding.
          The Main objective here at the B/H!
          T
          Last edited by big_teee; 02-21-2014, 08:07 AM.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnet-staggers-Compound.png
Views:	1
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	832511

Name:	Magnet-staggers-normal.png
Views:	1
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	832512

Comment

Not sure that the output for pickups is valid for multiple radii . Here's a pic from a thread I raised asking Qs about stagger

Name:	Vintage Stagger.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	832535

Comment

So what happened? Did it work good?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruel View Post
                  So what happened? Did it work good?
                  The Stacked pickups work fine, and another humbucking option.
                  Give it a try!
                  Terry

Comment

Working...
                  X