Stacked Strat Bridge Pickup project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stacked Strat Bridge Pickup project!

Fixing to start the Stacked pickup project.
    I am planning on building a strat bridge pickup with the J-bass .781" A5 magnets.
    Was thinking of making the top bobbin height the Tallest.
    Also thinking of winding the top with small 42, then using 43, or 44 on the bottom area.
    Any Ideas or experience on this?
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 03-20-2013, 06:39 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

I don't have any specifics for you right now Terry but I wouldn't glue the center Forborn to the magnets just yet.

If you make the holes in the center divider a tiny bit larger than the rod magnets and the spacing turns out to be an issue you will be able to slide it up or down on subsequent test winds.

Just be sure to leave the wooden spacers (or what ever material you choose) on the section of bobbin that you're not winding the wire on so it stays put until you're ready to wind that section.

It will be pretty much an adjustable spaced bobbin for R&D.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
      I don't have any specifics for you right now Terry but I wouldn't glue the center Forborn to the magnets just yet.

If you make the holes in the center divider a tiny bit larger than the rod magnets and the spacing turns out to be an issue you will be able to slide it up or down on subsequent test winds.

Just be sure to leave the wooden spacers (or what ever material you choose) on the section of bobbin that you're not winding the wire on so it stays put until you're ready to wind that section.

It will be pretty much an adjustable spaced bobbin for R&D.
      Great Info, and Ideas.
      I had not thought about the spacers.
      Thanks
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

My Dad taught me that when I was a kid

Comment

My Dad taught me that when I was a kid
          You don't have much room using .781" magnets .
          Just say you go with a flush bobbin & solid mustang style cover
          .062" top of bobbin
          .062" middle between coils
          .093" bottom baseplate
          This gives you .564" to divide between 2 coils .so roughly 1/4" per coil & I would go with taller coil on top & use smaller wire for the bottom coil ....either way its pretty limited with those dimensions
          remember a stack pickups output primarily comes from the top coil ,Not the overall DCR
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

1/4" will work. I dug this bobbin up from an old parts box and my notes say "awg 43 until full"
            I'm guessing late 80's early 90's because of the missing turns count.
            I know that I put a Veeder Root counter on my old winder in the early 90's

I don't recall how they sounded but I knew I had once made a few

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sstack.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	822.1 KB
ID:	828439

Comment

I agree that some longer magnets would be nice.
              It's hard to find longer than the .781s without special order.
              So like Copper says, need to keep everything short on the top end.
              Also everything I'm reading says that you want more pickup on the top bobbin.
              Think we want the bottom coil to be act like a dummy coil.
              Was thinking of putting a thin piece of metal between the coils instead of using forbon.
              Only problem I see with that is it may short out the wire?
              T
              Terry

Comment

I started the project yesterday.
                Slightly beveled the ,781" magnets.
                Cut out the .062" forbon middle divider.
                It has to be cut and fit so it will fit in the Strat Plastic cover,.
                It is cut to the same dimensions of the top piece of fiber.
                I need to cut a couple of 1/4 inch blanks to fit in the bottom space, while winding the top.
                Allowing 1/4" space at the bottom will leave a little over 1/4" for the top.
                Supposedly the top portion of the coil will pickup the most, and It will be a little larger.
                Phase one I was planning using 43 Gauge wire on both coils.
                If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.
                Also for the first 1.0 issue, was planning on running both start lead 28 Gauge tails, through the middle, to the bottom.
                This will allow them to solder on the bottom of the eyelets.
                Use one start for Hot lead, and use the other for ground.
                Just connect the two finish leads together, and maybe it will work.
                Terry

Comment

I forget which way they are wired without my knotes handy ,but i think you got to go with a start & finish wired together
                  & how many turns were you going after -till its really full -maybe
                  "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                    I forget which way they are wired without my knotes handy ,but i think you got to go with a start & finish wired together
                    & how many turns were you going after -till its really full -maybe
                    If I wind both coils the same direction, I can wire them like a Humbucker.
                    If you did the continuous wire Like Rob did, then one coil would have to be wound the other way.
                    I glued the top and bottoms to the magnets.
                    I have the middle piece loose floating.
                    Maybe I can wind it tomorrow.
                    Wife and I have both been under the weather for the weekend.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Hopefully I will get it finished tomorrow.
                      Didn't get to work on it much today.
                      I did start winding the top coil, and it's hard to keep everything from moving around.
                      I'm glad I took Stratz advice and put fillers in place of the unwound coil.
                      Looks like I can get quite a bit of wire on the two coils.
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        I have the middle piece loose floating
                        I did start winding the top coil, and it's hard to keep everything from moving around.
                        I'm glad I took Stratz advice and put fillers in place of the unwound coil.
                        Looks like I can get quite a bit of wire on the two coils.
                        T
                        Terry, I hope you didn't drill out the divider, it needs to be quite snug not "floating" or you will likely have problems when you remove the wood spacers after the first section is wound.

Mine were tight enough that I had to use the spacers to move the middle divider into position.

Comment

Terry, I hope you didn't drill out the divider, it needs to be quite snug not "floating" or you will likely have problems when you remove the wood spacers after the first section is wound.

Mine were tight enough that I had to use the spacers to move the middle divider into position.
                          Oh well, Easy come Easy Go!
                          Like my Motto, "Nothing Difficult is ever Easy!"
                          And, "If It's Not Difficult I'll Make it That Way."
                          You told me not to glue it down.
                          Looks like that would have been the thing to do now!
                          Terry

Comment

It's alright, just glue the ends of the top of the divider at the outer poles before you pull the spacers. DON'T glue the spacers in...lol
                            It wont be adjustable but 1/4" will work fine if you fill the bobbins.

Keep track of the turns if you would so I can add an approximate turns # to my old notes.

Sorry, I guess I should have explained the process a little better.

Comment

I have that issue worked out, I have the bottom coil wound and finished.
                              New issue.
                              Now the top coil is open.
                              I had a wire hanging out the bottom going through the coil to the top winding.
                              I guess I somehow pulled the pigtail going to the top coil, and broke it.
                              So now looks like I get to take the Exacto Knife to the top coil.
                              Temporary set-back.
                              It looks like it may be a good setup if I can get it all built.
                              I have 6k on the shorter bottom coil.
                              I plan on about 7k on the top coil.
                              I have other things to do today, so it may be tonight or tomorrow before I get back on it.
                              T
                              PS: I am anxious, and look forward to getting it finished.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X