Roland RS5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland RS5

Anybody with any experience with this POS? Yeah, unfortunately, it's MINE. It exibits some od behavior at times. I'm a tube amp guy so this IS a little exotic for me to be working on! Anyway, SOMETIMES, it comes up and there is an oscillator running when the voices are supposed to be stable voices. In otherwords, it has a trem(or vibrato) running. I CAN shut it down by turning the rate knob back to -60 or so but I should have to. AND, it seems do do it on a LOT of the voices, but not all. The piano seems unaffected. The strings and organ sounds are the main culprits. Like I said, it can be turned off but I shouldn't HAVE to. AND, sometimes it just goes away while working. AND, sometimes it just doesn't do it. Just looking for a little guidance. I used to think that the plastic insulator over the circuit board was getting holes punched in it from the sharp traces and grounding something out. I could cut a new piece of plastic sheet, put it in and it would stop for 6 months or so. Now, that doesn't seem to have fixed it. Still makes me thing it's a gropund issue, but where? Anyway, looking for some experience here. Thanks. Mike.

Reinitialize the unit, and if it has a memory battery, check that for low voltage.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I've been looking for a schematic to see if it HAS a battery for the memory. Can't find info on either. Guess I'm just going to have to open it up an look! Going to try the factory reset though.

Comment

Tried the factory reset. Still does it. What's funny is that it seemed to warm up a little and it stopped. Just acts like a lfo is running and then stops. Can't find a schem yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by jbltwin1 View Post
          Tried the factory reset. Still does it. What's funny is that it seemed to warm up a little and it stopped. Just acts like a lfo is running and then stops. Can't find a schem yet though.
          The scheme will not help you.
          Try to use freezing spray and blower alternately in order to detect defected component.

When you will find it send me its schematic number (IC/Q/ etc.)

Comment

The schem WOULD help me i that it would have told me whether it had a backup battery or not. I have since taken it apart and it does NOT have one. If it was JUSt a heat related thing, that's what I would have done. It's very sporadic. Sometimes, even cold it won't do it. I have found the power supply to be a little flaky so I have just fixed that. MAY have had a low current stuation from the supply. Will be trying this week at work to see. Mike.

Comment

Even when a problem is not thermal in nature, freezing components still sends a shock through them that can reveal a flaw.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
              X