Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Tube Swap Extravaganza!

I ran across this on you tube.
    I was just wanting to compare the old KT66 to EL34s.
    They check those and a whole lot more.
    This gets a little repetitive, but see how they fair to you.
    I thought the JJ EL34L sounded as good as any.
    What do you think?

"If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

What I do not like about any tube test/ comparison, is that they test one set.
    How about 2?
    How about 100?
    Also, you have no idea where the tubes stand in the 'bell curve' of acceptable tubes.
    Is it a hot set or a cold set.
    This info matters if you are going to 'compare' items.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      What I do not like about any tube test/ comparison, is that they test one set.
      How about 2?
      How about 100?
      Also, you have no idea where the tubes stand in the 'bell curve' of acceptable tubes.
      Is it a hot set or a cold set.
      This info matters if you are going to 'compare' items.
      If you don't like it, Then don't listen to it!
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        If you don't like it, Then don't listen to it!
        Ooops.
        Sorry Big Teee.
        Did not mean to go there.
        I will have to agree the JJEL34L's sound good.
        I think I will give them a try. (I have been installing EH tubes in repairs. Had a few come back)

Comment

Here's another Insignicant Test, I thought interesting.
          If you like big tubes and crunch.
          I thought the KT88, EL34L, and the 6L6, sounded especially good, tight and crunchy.
          The KT66 sounded weak, maybe a impedance issue.
          I've got the EL34Ls in my 2204, I'm going to get a set of JJ 6L6s next time I order from Mojo.
          At $13 each you can't go to wrong. If I don't like them in the 2204, I can run them in my Traynor, it has 6L6s.

Last edited by big_teee; 03-18-2013, 05:41 PM.
          Terry

Comment

Just to be clear, you mean E34L (not EL34) correct? They do make the distinction as they are technically not EL34's.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
              Just to be clear, you mean E34L (not EL34) correct? They do make the distinction as they are technically not EL34's.
              They have both in the test, the EL34, and the EL34L.
              Here's what AES says the difference is.

"The E34L has a slightly higher grid voltage rating (-13.5 to-16.5 vs -10 to -13.5 volts) than the traditional EL34 vacuum tube.
              For the same idle plate current value, the E34L is typically biased with a more negative grid voltage than the EL34.
              This allows the E34L to offer more headroom (later breakup) than the traditional EL34."
              Terry

Comment

They have both in the test, the EL34, and the EL34L.
                How about we just call it E34L, ok?
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

How about we just call it E34L, ok?
                  Your right, I have too many Ls in there.
                  I thought I was doing pretty good getting any of it right, at 64 Years Young!
                  Cut us old guys some slack. lol
                  Terry

Comment

Cut us old guys some slack. lol
                    How do you think I found out there is only one L in the first place!

Comment

I didn't like the investigation due to the noise that made me hate my own ears. Had to turn it off...
                      In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

How do you think I found out there is only one L in the first place!
                        Besides too many Ls, what did you think of the Different Big Bottle JJ Tubes?
                        It's just a single tube set test, and one Peavey Amp, but I thought some sounded better than others.
                        However they all sounded IMO pretty good.
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

Only took half an hour to download (the small clip, I gave up on the bigger first clip) .
                          I like some thump so preferred the 6550 & 6L6 in the first part, my ears couldn't hear as much difference in the second part. But they all sounded pretty good.
                          Not sure if the pictured tubes are the one's actually used but the paint discoloration says the EL34's were running a lot hotter than the others.

Comment

Hi all, here's my take, FWIW.

The 2nd test, I would have liked a listing of where the knobs were set, etc. I didn't hear quite as much difference, but the E34L & 6L6GC get my vote for best overall. The KT88 was my favorite lead sound - slightly mellower.

The 1st test, I'll just list impressions.
                            TS 6L6STR - even, round, good for music REproduction
                            GT KT66 - weak, kinda mushy.
                            GT KT66HP - meh, not much different.
                            Genalex KT66 - good overall, smooth, but not aggressive enough for my taste. And did I see a "Made in Russia" stamp on them, when
                            they were all lined up at the end?
                            EH 6L6GC - sounded okay, and were they redplating a little bit?
                            JJ 6L6GC - pretty good overall.
                            JJ KT77 - different sounding, neat, in a good way.
                            EH EL34 - meh...
                            Svetlana EL34 - are they =C=, or New Sensor? Either way, very smooth. The bases seemed a little cooked...
                            USSR 6-whatever it was - my personal fave of the bunch.

This is all my opinion, sorry if I insulted anyone's favorite tubes! I also will say that I listened on a Kindle Fire, so take that for what it's worth. I probably couldn&t tell them apart too well in a blind test, either. If I could get them all in my Bassman & Concert, I would. Have fun tweaking!

Justin

I guess I could listen w. headphones...
                            Last edited by Justin Thomas; 03-19-2013, 01:44 AM.
                            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                              Hi all, here's my take, FWIW.

The 2nd test, I would have liked a listing of where the knobs were set, etc. I didn't hear quite as much difference, but the E34L & 6L6GC get my vote for best overall. The KT88 was my favorite lead sound - slightly mellower.

The 1st test, I'll just list impressions.
                              TS 6L6STR - even, round, good for music REproduction
                              GT KT66 - weak, kinda mushy.
                              GT KT66HP - meh, not much different.
                              Genalex KT66 - good overall, smooth, but not aggressive enough for my taste. And did I see a "Made in Russia" stamp on them, when
                              they were all lined up at the end?
                              EH 6L6GC - sounded okay, and were they redplating a little bit?
                              JJ 6L6GC - pretty good overall.
                              JJ KT77 - different sounding, neat, in a good way.
                              EH EL34 - meh...
                              Svetlana EL34 - are they =C=, or New Sensor? Either way, very smooth. The bases seemed a little cooked...
                              USSR 6-whatever it was - my personal fave of the bunch.

This is all my opinion, sorry if I insulted anyone's favorite tubes! I also will say that I listened on a Kindle Fire, so take that for what it's worth. I probably couldn&t tell them apart too well in a blind test, either. If I could get them all in my Bassman & Concert, I would. Have fun tweaking!
                              Justin
                              I guess I could listen w. headphones...
                              Thanks for taking the time to list what you think.
                              Like was mentioned, nothing official, just something to listen too.
                              If your into tubes and amps like most of us are, We are always looking for that holy Grail!
                              I think What I take away from all of this, is the Power Tube just gives us more of what we start with.
                              Like the Peavey amp, it sounded more Marshall to me, than a lot of Marshalls.
                              What ever he put in it, still came out crunchy Peavey Marshall tones.
                              I guess the same would happen with a Fender Twin Reverb.
                              I imagine they would all sound like a Twin Reverb.
                              I have always associated the tube type with a certain sound.
                              This proves to me, not so.
                              I'll try to find some more to listen to and beat on.

Rock On!
                              B_T
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X