Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to pup building

yello!

I'm on my first build and decided to make everything i can...including the pickups
    So here I am (hand-winding em, dont ask why) and go online to see what resistance I must be getting from what I just wound
    I'm using neodymium magnets in the form of pole pieces. done with around 2000 (just 2000) turns on a single bobbin.
    Theory states that the resistance must be around 1.27k ohms. I know its too less compared to other pickup resistances
    but considering the use of REM magnets, is it a fine value?

Originally posted by kennethlobo View Post
    yello!

I'm on my first build and decided to make everything i can...including the pickups
    So here I am (hand-winding em, dont ask why) and go online to see what resistance I must be getting from what I just wound
    I'm using neodymium magnets in the form of pole pieces. done with around 2000 (just 2000) turns on a single bobbin.
    Theory states that the resistance must be around 1.27k ohms. I know its too less compared to other pickup resistances
    but considering the use of REM magnets, is it a fine value?
    Hi welcome to the forum.
    We need more info about your pickup.
    What type of pickups are you making?
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

It is my understanding that, neos work best in high DC resistance pickups, due to their strength. I have never used them, but I would suggest going as high as you can since you've already started. You may not get over 7.5-8k if you are using 42 on a strat bobbin. You can test the DCR mid-wind, by using very fine sand paper to rub some insulation off and place the black test probe on the start eyelet while you hold the red one on the spot you sanded off. Keep in mind that the winding process warms up the wire a little, pushing the readings up. You can stop for 30min and let it's temp equalize then come back and take a reading before you continue. I also recommend going over your target by about 2-3 10ths (i.e. hit 6.6-7 if you want 6.5) because the leads and solder add a little resistance as well.

If I may ask, why did you choose to use neos in the first place?

-Rob

Magnets explained

Comment

I wonder where he went.
        It's hard to answer these ???s when we don't know what kind of pickup is being built.
        Rob you think all pickups are strat Single Coil pickups I guess?
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          I wonder where he went.
          It's hard to answer these ???s when we don't know what kind of pickup is being built.
          Rob you think all pickups are strat Single Coil pickups I guess?
          Nah, just guessing, since, like ya said, hard to answer. I wonder why he thinks you would need less resistance with a stronger magnet. I also wonder why Rock Monkey took down the magnet page, which happened only very recently. Thank goodness for the Wayback Machine. It's a great little resource. I'm gonna start printing shistuff out and keeping a notebook of these things until they work their way into my memory. That can be tough when the docs got ya on meds that are meant to allow you to function but only do so barely and fog up the bay of your short term memory. A lot of shistuff barely makes it to the docks before hitting the rocks and sinking into an abyss But I digress. Maybe he means that he's making one coil per pole... in which case about 2k-ohm may be strong enough. If he's gonna mess with neos, he should maybe shoot an email over to Bill Lawrence; he certainly knows more about that... I've never seen much talk here about them.... though, I have wanted to experiment with them a bit.

-Rob

Comment

Working...
          X