Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tremolo problem in modifed 5F11

Hi Gent's
    This is my first post and I apologize in advance for showing up hat in hand with my first post. I recently completed a "low watt" 5F11 Vibrolux for a friend. Schematic wise it's pretty much stock except that required to change the output stage to use a pair of 6G6G tubes instead of 6V6. The bias circuit was modded to provide about -16v bias for the 6G6 tubes and of course the B+ voltages are lower across the board (in the 220v ballpark) to suit the requirements of the 6G6 tubes. The amp produces about 2.5 - 3 watts output.
    The new owner loves this amp sans tremolo. Unfortunately he reports that the tremolo really distorts the output .. he compares it to the splatty sound that some pedals provide .. similar to what you hear in the first minute or of this vid:

My gut feeling is that given the BIAS voltage in this amp is roughly half what it would be in the standard 5F11 the trem output is more or less overwhelming the bias section and sending the tubes into an overdriven and/or blocking situation of sorts .. does that make sense ?!? I'm not sure where to start in modding the trem section to make this work.

I can post schematics and or gut shot etc it that would help. Note that the plate voltage on the trem tube is approx 133v and the bias is about 1v (.99v on pin 8) The components in the trem section are schematic stock at this point.

Any thoughts or ideas you have in this regard would be appreciated.

I will bet the Tremelo is driving the output tubes right into clipping.
    The only way around that would be a different Tremelo, I guess.
    One that does not vary the bias voltage.

Comment

The output tubes with bias wiggle tremolo need to be biased on the cold side. It helps reduce the distortion on the loud part and give more gain reduction on the quiet part of the tremolo signal. A resistor between the 0.1uF cap and the Depth pot (in series with the cap) will limit the tremolo signal to what the tubes can handle. Try 470K or 1 Meg.
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I'll try the resistor loudthud. I had noticed that the Princeton 6G2, which has a similar trem section, has a 220k resistor between the plate and the cap. Thanks

Comment

You'll have to experiment with the value to find a good compromise. There is not much data available on the 6G6 so you are in uncharted waters. Probably a good thing that the B+ is not too high. Sorry, I don't have the connection speed to watch the video.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thanks again .. I'm looking forward to trying that loudthud. Unfortunately, that amp is about 1200 miles away from me right now .. as soon as I have it back it hand I'll let you know if I had any luck.

Comment

Working...
            X