No announcement yet.

5E3 Build done. Now doing some tweeks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E3 Build done. Now doing some tweeks.

Got my amp build completed. Very happy with the build. I am especially proud of the fact that I built my own cabinet and people who have seen it think that I bought the cab. I have to show them the pics of it in the process of the build to convince them.

I have had some cabinet rattles/buzzes since I completed it. They were not there when I trial fitted it and tested it prior to putting the tweed and grille cloth on. I guess the wood clamps down perfectly and flush when bare. The tweed probably would not be so bad without the polyurethane on it. I have used some foam and felt pads to get rid of the rattles. I am not surprised by this, I had to do the same to my Mesa Boogie which I paid over 2 grand for.

Today I went in and changed some cap values. Had a little bit of farty bass on the normal input with a les paul with humbuckers if really cranking it, especially on the neck pick up. I also did a volume control mod to make them independent of each other. So far I am super happy with that mod but I need to pickup a dual pot for the tone control to finish it out. I will say though that the tradeoff of getting rid of the farty bass is that the bright input 1 is really bright now when on the bridge pickup.

All and all I am not convinced that the Mojo American Vintage speaker is the real deal. Per the rep I talked to it is made for them by Weber and is an improved design of the Weber vintage series. It is great at clean sounds but I think it is kind of fizzy when it goes into break up.

Next step is to bump up the preamp voltages a bit. The transformer I have is a Mojo/Heyboer which accounts for the 120V mains we are on today and keeps the output @330-0-330. In the end I end up with 338V at the plates of the 6V6's which is lower than a lot of 5E3's run but when I refer to data sheets and measure and calculate my plate dissipation I cannot really see where running higher voltages is in my best interest. Maybe I am missing something here. What I do know though is that my preamp and phase inverter can very safely handle higher voltages. I played with bumping them up and the amp seemed to really like it. Just have to make this change permanent now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of 20130319_220655.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	867210Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of 20130319_220731.jpg
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	867211Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of 20130319_220810.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	867212

Bruce at Mission amps sells a humbucker mod kit - it splits the common cathodes and tunes the two preamp stages for less bass and other RC circuits to reduce bass flab and mud so the amp can be turned up a little louder with less roaring and unusable bass.They work well with high output pickups and humbuckers.
    Both HB mods come with mini-toggle switches so you can bypass them and go back to the stock sound. I installed them on two 5e3s I built and they work well. I flip them on when I use a guitar with humbuckers and back to normal when I play a tele or strat or my p90 les paul

Comment

Working...
    X