Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handwired rebuild of Princeton Reverb Reissue - Rectifier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handwired rebuild of Princeton Reverb Reissue - Rectifier?

Hi All,

I just picked up a used Princeton Reverb Reissue from a friend for a great deal, and I'm looking to gut it and put in a handwired circuit. Was looking to get a kit on it, but the deal for the reissue was too hard to pass up. Thing is, all the schematics of Blackface Princeton Reverbs I've found have a 5U4 rectifier, but the reissue comes with a 5AR4 rectifier, and I'm planning on keeping the stock power transformer in there. Will there be a problem using a 5U4 rectifier with its current draw with the stock PT in the new handwired circuit?

What is the part number on the actual PT?
    Magnetic Component's parent company could be the actual winder and they'd have all the data.... however, I would be cautious too. It most likely is a 5v@+2A winding.
    But why not just use a 5AR4/GZ34 if the PT was made for it?
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

If I can interject, what are the concerns with swapping rectifier tubes in general?

Heater current
      B+ output

what else
      ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
        What is the part number on the actual PT?
        Magnetic Component's parent company could be the actual winder and they'd have all the data.... however, I would be cautious too. It most likely is a 5v@+2A winding.
        But why not just use a 5AR4/GZ34 if the PT was made for it?
        Thanks for replying, Bruce. I've actually been trying to look up the part # of the stock PT for the reissue and look up its specs. But along the way, I did read a review where it was mentioned that Fender recommends against a 5U4 because of the current draw, which tells me that it's only 2A at the PT for a GZ34. I'd just like to be able to run a 5U4 and more 'crunchy' 6V6s for earlier breakup and less headroom, as well as JJ's and a GZ34 for more headroom and a little louder playing/gigging.

For now, I do have a Weber copper cap 5U4, but I also have an NOS GE 5U4 I was hoping to put in there. Maybe down the road I'll get the PT from Mojo which has 5V 4A...even though their kit ships with a GZ34 (weird). Other places have replacement PT's that say they are for Princetons, but they're 5V 2A as well.
        Last edited by RC99; 03-26-2013, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mort View Post
          If I can interject, what are the concerns with swapping rectifier tubes in general?

Heater current
          B+ output

what else
          For me it's more about the rectifier heater current, as I'd like to switch to a 5U4 for more sag and lower headroom at times and run more 'traditional' type 6V6s other than JJ's.

Comment

The reason the 5U4GB was used has nothing to do with sag... especially with respect to little 15 watt amp and a modern PT wound specifically for a 5AR4.
            You could try a GZ30 (not GZ34) or 5V4GA too.
            If you want sag, put a 5 watt resistor in series with the B+ line from the rectifier to the first filter cap... mess with a a few hundred ohms until you get what you are looking for.
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

Thanks again, Bruce. I got the reissue in...holy crap is that stock Jensen C10R bright! Plugged it into a Weber ceramic Blue Dog and Jensen Neo 12 I had in other amps and it's night & day warmer and not nearly as grating. Man, I wonder how many sales they've lost from people trying this out and passing because of that icepick speaker. Anyway, I put the Weber WU4 into that and biased a set of NOS 6V6GTY's to around 20 and it's quite nice. Still has some of that reissue 'hardness' that I remember being like with Deluxe Reverb reissues vs. handwired versions and the real thing. Looking forward to handwiring for this one.

Comment

Working...
              X