Low Power 5E3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Power 5E3

The Deluxe is almost ready to roll it's very loud. Has anyone ever tried a half power switch or something in the amp to bring it down to studio levels but still sound close to the same?

coco,

Off the top of my head, and assuming you don't want to spend a lot of money and/or rip your newly-built amp a new one redesigning it, there's two simple things you can try:

1) Make your own $5 L-pad attenuator - a 4 ohm 15W resistor in series with the speaker, and an 8 ohm 15W resistor in parallel with the speaker (assuming an 8 ohm speaker). This will reduce speaker power by 75%, a 6dB drop in level. Mouser link below.

http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...ualkey11260000

2) Put in a pentode-triode switch, and ideally use the 4 ohm OT tap (for an 8 ohm speaker) in triode mode if one is available.

Both these mods will affect your sound, as will pretty much anything you do to the amp circuitry or speaker - who knows, you may like the new sound better. Used together, they'll make the amp about half as loud as it was.

Ray

Comment

Use 6K6s

If you buy a set of 6K6 tubes and put them in your 5E3, they will drop the power down to about 1/2. It is still fairly loud, but it is the most natural sounding way to get the breakup even sooner (100% certified all-natural). It KICKS. Then you if that is too much you can do a high wattage 8 ohm resitor to lower it even more out the external speaker jack. I tried this and it all works excellently.

Comment

Thanks, I think I'll try that!

Comment

Been A While but...

I Added a simple 500kl pot, the wiper to ground, lugs 1 and 3 to each tube grid.
          I added a switch to lift the ground also.
          This allows the use of one tube at a time, and 'balance control' on the tube inputs...allowing 7.5w - 15w adjustability.
          I use that switch...for bedroom recording to gigs, the reduced wattage sound is quite similar to the full output sound, great for tweeking pedals [for use at high volume] at lower volume.

Comment

Working...
          X