Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Princeton with 6L6 output tubes

Hello all,
    I'd like to build a amp head along the lines of the Princeton but with 6L6 output tubes. I'd also rather use an off the shelf chassis. My thoughts on the matter are use a Princeton or Deluxe chassis or a jtm 45 chassis. Would the Princeton chassis be strong enough to handle the extra weight? Also, is it reasonable to include a reverb pan in a head. I just starting to plan this out so any advice would be appreciated. thanks

Weber sells kits both ways, with 6V6s ,or 6L6s.
    They call the 6L6 version the 6A14HP.
    taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_60a.htm
    Maybe you can get some ideas from their Schematics, and layouts.
    T
    PS: The 6A20, and 6A20A are the 2 Channel versions.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I've built an up-graded Princeton Reverb combo already using Allen Trannys and a juicier PI and it sounds awesome. I'm looking to do the same with 6L6"s for more/louder headroom and I have a good speaker cab so a head version with 6L6's and possibly reverb is what I'm after. I have the circuits and layout I want I just need advice on the platform i.e. can I use the Princeton chassis with the added weight or is a JTM 45 chassis the better choice. I'm also wondering if anyone has included a spring reverb in a head build. It seems doable to me but I can't estimate what interference I may get electrically or magnetically by placing a reverb pan close to the chassis which I'd have to do in a head build.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        PS: The 6A20, and 6A20A are the 2 Channel versions.
        The 6A20s are Deluxe Reverb clones, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulP Amps View Post
          The 6A20s are Deluxe Reverb clones, IIRC.
          The deluxe is what I wanted to build.
          That would probably be my picks.
          But, I'm mainly a Marshall guy.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            The deluxe is what I wanted to build.
            That would probably be my picks.
            But, I'm mainly a Marshall guy.
            Ah, ok. I thought you were trying to say they were two-channel Princetons.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulP Amps View Post
              Ah, ok. I thought you were trying to say they were two-channel Princetons.
              I wasn't saying anything, just trying to point out some options.
              To me Reverb is Reverb.
              I apologize, you die hard Princeton guys already seem to know what you want, so go for it.
              Have fun!
              T
              Terry

Comment

Obviously Larger transformers are in line for a 6l6 Princeton. Just go in a blackface pro, or a vibrolux, bassman, bandmaster, and copy the power section and power supply, and build the Princeton in front of that, as on many the circuit is almost exactly the same, but yea. Also, the Princeton chassis could probably hold the bigger stuff, fine, although you'll want to be careful just in case to make sure that while building and while using (for that matter) if it is slightly less strong as it should be, to not drop it, or set it down too hard, so as not to bend the chassis. You could bend it back, but It gets weaker every time it gets bent so... yea I'd be interested in seeing your build. And the reverb, as long as you make the cabinet large enough you could do reverb. I love a nice fender reverb, a NICE one... I'm in the process of building a highly modded Marshall 18watt with el34 tubes instead of el84's. I have this power transformer that puts out a LOT of voltage, so I got TWO el34's to do 75W. Don't argue with that you guys, on the other thread dedicated to that project I put all the data in and the guys there said its sensible. But yea, your project should be cool. Pics and clips if possible when done as long as you actually do it. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                X