Phase of a humbucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase of a humbucker?

How does one determine this? Or is it neutral and will mix with any single coil or other humbucker. I have a table that displays this for single-coils only and pretty much know it all off the back of my head. But obviously it's a bit different with buckers. What's it all about?

-Rob

In order to work properly, a humbucker has to have its two coils in phase with each other. So you can use your table with either coil and get the correct result.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Found this on single coils.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	4000_02graph.gif
Views:	2
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	828603
      You would want a humbucker and SC the same polarity, but no humcanceling with odd number of coils.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Oddly enough, the two coils of a humbucker correspond to the table entries that say "In phase, hum cancelling".
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I'm sorry if I'm taking this thread sideways...

Is there a 'standard' direction for phase in humbuckers? If I receive a HB with two wires (shield and signal), will it ALWAYS be in phase with any other two-wire HB? I ask because I seem to have the bad luck of always wiring my 4-wire HBs out of phase with the other pickups on the first try, regardless of the manufacturer's published wiring diagrams

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
          Oddly enough, the two coils of a humbucker correspond to the table entries that say "In phase, hum cancelling".
          Exactly my point. There is more than one point on that chart that will result in the "in phase, hum-canceling" and they will have opposite ABSOLUTE phase.
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
            I'm sorry if I'm taking this thread sideways...

Is there a 'standard' direction for phase in humbuckers? If I receive a HB with two wires (shield and signal), will it ALWAYS be in phase with any other two-wire HB? I ask because I seem to have the bad luck of always wiring my 4-wire HBs out of phase with the other pickups on the first try, regardless of the manufacturer's published wiring diagrams

Exactly my point. There is more than one point on that chart that will result in the "in phase, hum-canceling" and they will have opposite ABSOLUTE phase.
            Nothing chiseled in stone?
            But, most do both coils CCW and feed north on the slug coil.
            Like this diagram.
            Wiring Diagram
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

What I mean is, how can you be sure that a humbucker will never clash with a single coil on a HSS or HSH strat?

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
                What I mean is, how can you be sure that a humbucker will never clash with a single coil on a HSS or HSH strat?

-Rob
                Use 4 wire hookup wire on the humbuckers, then you can make adjustments for the single coil, however it is built.
                T
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  Use 4 wire hookup wire on the humbuckers, then you can make adjustments for the single coil, however it is built.
                  T
                  Making it work in coil-split mode is easy and simple. I'm talking about when you have full humbucker and switch on position 2 so it mixes with a single coil. Will it ever clash and be out of phase with it? If so, how so? And how is it prevented?

-Rob

Comment

You don't know how the HSS, or HSH guitar is configured, that the customer has?
                    If you sell a Humbucker that is 4 wire?
                    If the Middle SC is N/up/CCW?
                    You would wire your humbucker one way to match.
                    If the Middle SC is S/up/CW?
                    You would wire the humbucker the opposite to above accordingly.
                    Terry

Comment

Rob, if the HB is out of phase with the single or singles, you need only flip the polarity(s) of the single(s).

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                        Rob, if the HB is out of phase with the single or singles, you need only flip the polarity(s) of the single(s).
                        Then you are feeding the start lead, which works, but is noisier, and you take the chance of a shorted start lead.
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post

-Rob
                          Thats a easy one ,You just have to know the the direction of wind & the magnetic polarity of every pickup makers models on the planet
                          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I'm not asking how to do something. or how to fix a problem. I dont have one.

In fact I just shipped out an amazing HSS loaded guard to a guy that works perfectly.

I want to discuss theory here.

I want an example of a humbucker (that is NOT split) and a single-coil pickup, being out of phase with each other.

I am asking because - a humbucker is two opposite coils, joined as one.

So in the eyes of the single-coil, what does the humbucker look like when it reaches out to take it's hand?

In relation to it's interaction with the single coil, what determines a humbucker's "wind direction and polarity"??

Do you follow? A humbucker is two directions and two polarities in one. So what do they equal electronically?

Is a humbucker neutral and will match with a SC that matches either one of it's windings?

Omit all answers regarding the switching of leads to correct; proper wiring only, please.

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                              Thats a easy one ,You just have to know the the direction of wind & the magnetic polarity of every pickup makers models on the planet
                              This is why, I always encouraged the Customer to buy Sets, instead of singles.
                              Unless they give me the guitar and let me build and act accordingly!
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X