Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can excessive heat from wax potting ruin pickup coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can excessive heat from wax potting ruin pickup coils?

I wound a few coils lately that haven't produced very good results despite testing normally on my multimeter. The pickups were hum buckers wired in series that made a loud buzzing noise like you'd get from a short or grounding issue. I can confirm that the solder joints at the leads were fine and that the pickups were wired correctly. I poked around on the pickup and discovered that the buzzing fluctuated when I pressed in on the sides of the coil. Therefore, I suspect something may have gone wrong inside and I'm trying to track down what I might have done that compromised the coil. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps something went wrong during potting.

I've been potting at around 170-190 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes per coil. The last couple of times, I may have been less precise about the temps. Is there any risk that the heat from the wax melted the insulation around the coil wire by having exposed it for too long? The other thing I'm thinking is that perhaps my bobbins are warping or twisting putting unexpected stress on the coil. I've been making my own bobbins out of thin sheets of birch plywood impregnated with CA glue. I'm wondering if this isn't so stable anymore. Any ideas?

Hi shawnl:
    170-190 is getting pretty hot, for plastic bobbins.
    Wax melts at 130f Degrees.
    Most of us try to keep the temp between 140-150 degrees.
    I use a cooking thermometer.
    If I get the wax too hot, I let it cool a while.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Well the good news is at least I believe I've narrowed it down to what I've been doing wrong all this time! Too bad I ruined so many coils in the process. Such is the learning process I suppose. I don't know why I ever established 170-190 was a good temp range. It doesn't seem to take too much to scrape off poly coating when soldering so I'm just realizing that high heat could just as easily melt it away.

Comment

Working...
      X