Connectors for 1970s Ampeg SVT head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connectors for 1970s Ampeg SVT head?

I'm mildly surprised there isn't already a thread for this question....

I've got a vintage SVT head on the bench, and it's had a long and well-travelled life. The multi-pin connector that connects the preamp section to the power amp has (to put it mildly) seen much better days. It looks like a bog-standard AMP Mate-N-Lok though it could be a not-quite-identical Molex type, and I suppose if I spend enough time paging through connector specs I can find a replacement....but I bet some other kind soul has already solved this problem, and remembers at least the correct family/series number.

To clarify, I need the 12-pin housing for the preamp connection, and the 3-pin housing for the fan, plus the associated male and female terminals.

Thanks in advance!

I don't remember. Molex connector housings have a little "MX" molded into the plastic, and AMP has "AMP" in theirs.

If it looks like an MNL, it probably is. In their parlance, I belive you will find plugs and sockets for the plastic, and the pins will have genders. either gender pin can go into either "gender" housing.

I take that back, I was thinking of the round pins. If your connector is the flat pins, I'm not sure.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Aha! Yes, Molex it is....fortunately, the part of the housing with the 'MX' mark hasn't been melted or carved off. Phew!

The 76650-0011 kit is pretty close to optimal, though both the plugs and receptacles have the panel-mount locking ears. I suppose those could be carved off if absolutely necssary....

For future reference, the individual (and correct) part numbers are:

03-09-1032 3-circuit free-hanging receptacle (for fan)

03-09-2032 3-circuit free-hanging plug (for fan)

03-09-1121 12-circuit panel-mount receptacle (for preamp)

03-09-2121 12-circuit free-hanging plug (for preamp)

02-09-1119 female socket terminal, crimp type, 22-18 AWG

02-09-2118 male socket terminal, crimp type, 22-18 AWG

Comment

Working...
      X