Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear Humbucker Bobbins? Blue magnet wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Humbucker Bobbins? Blue magnet wire?

Does anyone have a source for clear humbucker bobbins?

I bought 4 sets of PAF spaced humbucker bobbins from a seller on eBay last year. I finally got around to winding a couple of humbuckers and I used 4 different colors of magnet wire strictly for how they would look. They ended up sounding great as well as looking pretty cool. Picture attached. So I wanna make more of them but I can't find a source for anymore clear bobbins.

Also, there is a seller currently selling a humbucker with clear bobbins and blue colored magnet wire. Anyone know where I can get 42awg magnet in a blue color???
    Attached Files

GPUSA has the red and blue transparent Bobbins.
    I think they were used on some Gibson pickups a few years back.
    Guitar Pickup Bobbins - Guitar Parts USA
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Yeah, I've bought some of those blue and red ones but thanks for replying Terry.

Someone out there has got to know where I can get clear ones in small quantities. I can't afford a minimum order 50,000 bobbins or something like that.

Comment

I guess all the NOS Clear t-top bobbins are bought up

heres the bobbins I use, but a can't even find the seller now
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Ask the seller,they have some with the wire
          Gibson Clear T Top BOBBINS The Green Wire You Can Wind A Set of PAF Pickups | eBay

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
            Now that I've looked at the seller name, THAT'S the seller who originally sold me the clear bobbins. I asked him way back then if he had more clear bobbins and he told me "NO". And now he has more. Hmmmm??? Interesting....very interesting. Well I wrote him again. Thanks for posting that link Copper!

Comment

Looks like he wants to sell it all together as a kit.
              I have enough trouble finding quality wire, and bobbins in standardard colors.
              I didn't even know before this post they made clear humbucker bobbins.
              T
              Last edited by big_teee; 04-11-2013, 03:54 PM.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

He wants $7.50 per bobbin, not set, each bobbin. Way more than I'm willing to pay.

Comment

Pink magnet wire? Where?

Comment

That's pretty expensive.
                    T
                    Last edited by big_teee; 04-11-2013, 03:55 PM.
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by nickc35 View Post
                      He wants $7.50 per bobbin, not set, each bobbin. Way more than I'm willing to pay.
                      Wow $7.50 each

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                        Wow $7.50 each
                        I guess those are NOS.
                        When did they quit making them, Any Idea?
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                          I guess those are NOS.
                          When did they quit making them, Any Idea?
                          The bobbins I have are NOS left over from the kalamazoo factory (So I was told ) & they quit making them in the 80's I believe

Comment

I have some of the ebay clear t-tops sets from a few years back, and also some of the GPUSA clear red ones. So far I have had zero interest from customers for any pickups made with either of them. I got a few sets of the old Gibson ones a few years ago (when they were a lot cheaper) because I wanted to check the dimensions. I think the history on these was that they were some bobbins that were molded in clear resin by the vendor for prototypes but never used in production. I would expect a total of maybe 1000 or more of each mold were made. We used to do that all the time when I worked for TI on moldings for calculator parts. The vendor would make a run of maybe 1000 - 1500 parts in clear resin for us to evaluate. After we got done evaluating those, then we ordered the production run in whatever colors we wanted. But the clear resin was the default to test the new molds. We always got a test run of a few thousand clear parts for us to try out in production circumstances. I remember we used to give away TI calculators to the executives and special customers with the see through clear pre-production cases just to promote them. This was in the 1973-1975 time frame, and I think this was a common practice among plastics molders at that time.
                            www.sonnywalton.com
                            How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Working...
                            X