No announcement yet.

Wax poting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to pot some of my pickups for less than a minute ,& even with "preheating" with a hair dryer it is a pain in the ass .
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      If the wax melts, it's hot enough. The melting temperature of paraffin is between 46 and 68 °C (115 and 154 °F).

Hot hot do you want it? I don't know why you say "only"... stick you hand in something 131°F and see how hot it is. When I take the bobbins out they are too hot to handle with my bare hands.

I tried a small food warmer crock pot looking thing once. I went up to about 150°F. It was so hot it deformed a plastic bobbin. So the paraffin baths are perfect.
      Thanks for answering my question David,(If the wax melts, it's hot enough) and (46 and 68 °C). It's not a question of how hot I want it but how hot is hot enough. You see I've only potted a couple of pick ups and am still learning. Every where I've read that the wax temp needs to be maintained at a constant 60 °C but that's not entirely correct because as you say if the wax melts it's hot enough, so any thing over 50-55 °C will do fine, it may just take a little longer to saturate the coils at a slightly lower temperature, so a paraffin warmer will do the job nicely.

regards

Walt
      I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but man, sometimes their ideas are just brilliant.

Comment

Working...
      X