Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zinky Blue velvet 50watt head

Hi All

Ive been asked to Mod a zinky head amp. Does anyone on here own one or repaired and have a opinion on them

Ive done the mod as requested by customer Ie removing and changing some resistors and fitting a cap. Is the design good, I dont have a schematic so i can't make a comment. I think the amp is well made and very well soldered, But not sure on the layout. Pain in the arse to get to the control board. I don't like the edge connectors used on it. Its seems under powered and has a poorly controlled reverb. ie once you get past 2-3 it for me is unusable . here in the uk we dont see zinky amps

what do you lot think ?

BBB

The Blue Velvet has a good rep. Zinky has a good rep. This is the second Zinky amp you've posted about inside of a week!!! anything you'd like to tell us???
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by blindboybenton View Post
      ...Ive done the mod as requested by customer Ie removing and changing some resistors and fitting a cap. Is the design good, I dont have a schematic so i can't make a comment...
      Well what is that mod supposed to accomplish? Did the amp have the problems you describe before the mod?

Comment

Hi Tom

The post was not about what mods were. It was about the opinion on the amp. We here in the uk dont get to see them.
        The customer had the mods emailed to him from Bruce Zinky himself. Was not to much changed 2 resistors to a lower value and removed one more and added a cap . The post didnt mention that there was problem with the amp or was there a problem after all the mods. My customer was still unsure if he likes the amp!!

Was just interested if any feedback on the amp

BBB

Comment

Hi chuck

The both posts i made were all about the same zinky. !! Well the first post was purely a comment within the post on the prosonic output tx post. we don't see them here in the good old uk. The most common amps i see here are Laney/Vox/Marshall

BBB

Comment

I will say this... I've followed some of Zinky's designs because I like them for the most part. Mostly the work he did when he was with Fender. Having read more than average about these designs it seems like Bruce is always suggesting a change or mod. It seems to be the same story with his later amp ventures too. He's never happy with a design and always seems to wish he had done something differently. He's never actually finished with the designs in his head. Even after the amps go into production. So fine. Mod if your customer wants to. It may actually improve a thing or two. But there's nothing wrong with the amps. Bruce is just kinda weird.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
            X