Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meteor Me307 winder

Hello everyone.
    I have been lurking here for some time now watching and learning. In that time I made my winder and around 20 pickups. Humbuckers, P90s, single coils, even one J Bass set which all found »home« in my friends guitars. Since I am in Europe my main problem is getting plain enamel or heavy fromvar wire so all the pickups are made with poly coated Grade 1 AWG42 or 43 wire from Elektrisola which I can find at local supplier. 150eur for 9kg spool, that is AWG42.
    So here is my winder and shots of some of my pickups and a video of strat with my set.

Click image for larger version

Name:	014a_zps9527f050.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	867257

Name:	011a.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	867258

Name:	IMG_1870a_zps9a12a717.jpg
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	867259

Name:	IMG_1866a_zpsdc8c54d2.jpg
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	867260

A frend of mine who is playing also makes the amps on the video.

And now the question related to gear. I have the opportunity to obtain Meteor ME307 winder. I know Gibson used Meteor ME301 but what about Me307 model. Does anyone here uses that winder or has some experience with it.

Name:	IMG_1890a_zps2d8f210c.jpg
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	867261

I would also like to thank all of you who are sharing your knowledge and experience in pickup makinng on this forum.
    https://www.facebook.com/FatChanceGuitars

Hmm. I am a bit surprised, no one with experience with this winder??

Comment

The Meteor is a solid build machine. You have to check which layer system it is outfitted. It has to lay the wire straight-not trapeze or something like that.It is also important for what wire size it is build.
      What about the tailstock - it´s expensive to buy it as an spare part.
      www.t-rod-guitars.de

Comment

Thank you.
        Unfortunately it is without tailstock or wire tensioner. I will have to make some kind of bobbin holder and I found a wire tensioner for quite reasonable price.
        As far as I could see it winds without any pattern and there is the possibility to adjust how far left or right it moves the wire. According to the specs it is suitable for wire lager than 0,04mm.

Comment

Jure,
          I also use Meteor Me-307 (02) (pickups, small transformers, smaller coils), as well as Fag/IWT FW200 - 0.02 to 2mm wire (mostly output transformers).
          Me 307 machines support wire dia 0.02-0.5.
          There are no "brains" in Meteor ME-307, so no pattern windings.
          But you may set speed (big knob on the frontpanel) of horizontal shift (left-right move/wire guide system).

I use Auman tensioner with Meteor and original Meteor Me-484 (0.04-0.2) - for pickups.
          It works like a charm. If your machine is not refurbished, it'd be good to check everything, clean, set and repair.
          I did complete refurbishment some time ago, now I wait for CNC controller...

Spare parts for Meteor are crazy expensive, although, if you're patient you can find cheaper sources, I found this company:
          Prodman (Poland): P.T.H. PRODMAN s.c.
          He did close his winding bussiness, he told me, but he still has some spare parts for Meteor and others.
          (I bought belts and "reibscheibe and reibrad"-German original name from service manual).
          I don't know if he has tailstock...ask. He offered me tensioners as well, wireboxes...

Here are some other sources from my contacts:
          Hinzmann GmbH - Wickelmaschinen (Hinzmann)
          Wickelmaschinen
          Spare parts and consumables for coil winding machines.
          Service and spare parts
          (Meteor CH - they still sell original parts – if you need prices :-) I can send you pricelist)

Here is Meteor before servicing: (pretty bad condition)
          Coil winder Meteor ME-307-02

FAG/IWT (also before servicing):
          Fag/IWT FW200

Technical data from Meteor Me307 attached.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by reverbus; 05-05-2013, 10:11 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Thank you reverbus. I will PM you for some more questions
            Machine is already in my possession
            Of course first thing I brought it at home was to look inside. I think it is in a better condition than yours, though I already ordered new belts and I am also in contact with Prodman for tensioner.
            Inside of the winder

Name:	IMG_1990a_zps0f48905f.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	828945

My first impression is that the winder is really nice piece of Swiss engineering.
            Until next time here is the demo of several pedals and the pickup used is mine. Guitar is a DIY from a friend.

Comment

Working...
            X