Heat Shrink size for AWG 28 x2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Shrink size for AWG 28 x2

Hey all. Can somebody please tell me what the size is of heat shrink tubing that fits just snug over the insulation of a junction of two pieces of AWG 28 (side by side) ?

I have been using some blue stuff that I've had forever for humbuckers but there were no markings on it and I'm out.

I'm guessing it was something like 3/32" or 1/16" but I'm not sure and I have none left to measure.
    The stuff I had was nice and soft which was easy to work with too in case anybody knows more about the stuff.

Thanks

I'd start with the 1/16". I haven't had any luck finding HS smaller than that though I'm sure it exists.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
      I'd start with the 1/16". I haven't had any luck finding HS smaller than that though I'm sure it exists.
      You're correct David!
      I stopped by the local Rat Shack on my way home today and picked up a little assortment pack of shrink tubing. The proper size for covering a 28 gauge union is 1/16" (1.6mm)

The soft flexible type I was looking for is called Polyolefin.

Now that I know the proper size and material I can buy a big roll.

Comment

I was going to say 1/16", but I thought you meant two pieces of 28, like side-by-side, which won't work. But it does work for joining the two. That's what I use on my hookup wires from the coils.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          I was going to say 1/16", but I thought you meant two pieces of 28, like side-by-side, which won't work. But it does work for joining the two. That's what I use on my hookup wires from the coils.
          Actually 1/16" does slide over two pieces of 28 gauge side by side. That was the question in my original post.

Comment

The 28 gauge wire I use has fat insulation.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

A while back I bought a rather ginormous roll of 2mm stuff thru Amazon for about $30. Wayyyy more than I'll ever use, but works great for insulating the hookup wire on HBs.

Comment

I got 100 feet from Cable Organizers. I'm starting to get low, so I'll have to order more soon.

Comment

THIS seller has Polyolefin in many sizes at what seems to be a fair price to me. It sure beats the $5 I paid for four 8" pieces of 1/8th" which came in the assortment I bought yesterday

100' should last me a lifetime and a half if I only use it for building humbuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                    Hey all. Can somebody please tell me what the size is of heat shrink tubing that fits just snug over the insulation of a junction of two pieces of AWG 28 (side by side) ?

I have been using some blue stuff that I've had forever for humbuckers but there were no markings on it and I'm out.

I'm guessing it was something like 3/32" or 1/16" but I'm not sure and I have none left to measure.
                    The stuff I had was nice and soft which was easy to work with too in case anybody knows more about the stuff.

Thanks
                    I have given up the heat shrink entirely on humbuckers, after much trial and error. Now I just tape everything with 1/4 paper tape, bury it, and leave it at that. Potting wax takes care of the rest. The shrink tubing takes up too much room between the bobbins for me. I have over the years accumulated a ton of heat shrink tubing in all sizes, and I use it for various things, but not for the internal connections in humbuckers anymore. I still use heat shrink to insulate the pre-connected junction between white and red at the end of the leads on 4 conductor humbuckers though.
                    www.sonnywalton.com
                    How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Thanks Sonny. I used paper tape but really don't trust it as much as heat shrink (I know... Gibson used paper for years and it held up pretty well)
                      The heat shrink I had was just the perfect size, took up less room than cloth tape and easier/faster and cleaner looking than tape.
                      I don't pot most HB's so that's another reason that I like the heat shrink better than the paper tape.

Comment

Try thin-wall 3/64 polyolefin heat shrink.
                        Available at all the usual places.
                        Last edited by David King; 04-14-2013, 05:49 PM.

Comment

THIS seller has Polyolefin in many sizes at what seems to be a fair price to me. It sure beats the $5 I paid for four 8" pieces of 1/8th" which came in the assortment I bought yesterday

100' should last me a lifetime and a half if I only use it for building humbuckers.
                          That's a good price. I bought 100 feet of 1/16" tubing in May 2011. Almost out now. Not too long of a lifetime!

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                            That's a good price. I bought 100 feet of 1/16" tubing in May 2011. Almost out now. Not too long of a lifetime!
                            I use 4 pieces about 3/8" long for each humbucker. I didn't do the math but I'm pretty sure 100' will last me the rest of my life.

Comment

I use 4 pieces about 3/8" long for each humbucker. I didn't do the math but I'm pretty sure 100' will last me the rest of my life.
                              That's what I do also, but about 1/4" long. I guess I make more humbuckers than you!

I just picked up a new roll from the seller you linked to, for less than half what I paid previously! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X