X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Steve. I can’t even remember the correct terminology

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
      The resulting transfer function captures the frequency-domain behaviour (and therefore the time-domain behaviour too) but it's a linear approximation that ignores the non-linear behaviour. You can write another kind of transfer function that captures the non-linear behaviour but not the frequency-domain behavour. This is a more complicated affair, basically done by curve fitting. Korg have a patent that describes how they did it.

If you want to capture both aspects in a single function, the math gets horrible. One way of doing it uses a "Volterra kernel". Volterra series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I've seen this used in DSP modelling plugins.
      Nice information. I have always wondered how those guys accounted for the non-linear behavior. I guess I'm going to have to look for that Korg patent.
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
        Nice information. I have always wondered how those guys accounted for the non-linear behavior. I guess I'm going to have to look for that Korg patent.
        Google "Phase Distortion"
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

If I may stray off topic, slightly. At what range should I have my treble pot? Eh, I mean the treble pot, what frequency range should it affect? Eh, what range for all pots if I have a bass, mid and treble pot?
          In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

The freq ranges of each control are affected by the others, they are all interactive, so there is no specific freq for the treble control.

Go over to Duncan Amps web page and find the Tone Stack Calculator. it is a free little download that lets you look at the freq response curves of popular tone stacks as you move the controls. It does this in real time. Really cool.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Enzo - I'm pretty familiar with the technical aspect. I was hoping for some input on where you folks like to put each pots effective range. You know based on experience rather than teory.
              Last edited by überfuzz; 04-13-2013, 09:52 AM. Reason: As allways, spelling
              In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

As Enzo mentioned there are so many variables involved and they do interact, but based on the popular FMV tonestack, the low seems to be 80-200, the mid 200-1k, and the hi 1k and above. But more experienced builders may have their own preferences.

I also made an attempt at the transfer function for the typical common cathode stage used in guitar amps, you can download it here. Please take a look to see if that's what you wanted. As mentioned by Steve earlier, the transfer function is only valid for small-signals, it can not be used when the stage is over-driven and becomes non-linear. I did not string together all the transfer functions as that would make it very difficult to read, but if you want to see it, I can send you a copy.

Jaz

Comment

Phase distortion synthesis was developed by Casio for their keyboards. It's just a form of FM synthesis similar to many other synths of the era, and has nothing to do with either Korg or amp modelling. I don't have a link for that patent, I've lost track of it.
                  "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

[QUOTE=loudthud;299002]The attached photo is an X-Y plot of a 12AX7 ...QUOTE]

Loudthud, that's a nice practical plot - thanks for showing it. The difference in transfer slope when in cutoff versus when in grid-current limiting, and the transition into those limiting regions, is easy to appreciate in this type of presentation.

With about 1.8V bias on cathode, this looks like about 100k anode load. The further fall off in anode voltage from about 100V to 90V with a further increase in grid voltage of about +4V indicates a grid current of about 0.17mA at +8V grid, where the grid-cathode voltage looks like being about +0.2V (assuming somewhat linear extrapolation of generic 12AX7 grid curves along a loadline) although I note that Merlin's plot (Fig 1.22) indicates a grid-cathode voltage of +0.4V would come from a 0.17mA grid current, but calculating slopes is little hazy in that region.

Comment

Working...
                    X