Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member wants to say thanks

Hi everyone,
    I have been checking out this forum for a few months and decided to register today. I want to say thank you for all of the info you guys have shared. I am interested in winding pickups part time and see where this venture leads me. I have been a gear nut for almost 30 years but only just begun researching pickups. I am almost finished with accumulating the needed equipment and materials. I have already met a lot of great folks on the supply side of things. I look forward to experimenting with different winds and to hopefully find the tone in my head. Thanks again to the contributing members for the info so far. Hopefully I some day can contribute also

Regards,
    John

Originally posted by John Archer View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have been checking out this forum for a few months and decided to register today. I want to say thank you for all of the info you guys have shared. I am interested in winding pickups part time and see where this venture leads me. I have been a gear nut for almost 30 years but only just begun researching pickups. I am almost finished with accumulating the needed equipment and materials. I have already met a lot of great folks on the supply side of things. I look forward to experimenting with different winds and to hopefully find the tone in my head. Thanks again to the contributing members for the info so far. Hopefully I some day can contribute also

Regards,
    John
    Welcome to our crazy home on the web John! Glad you are finding it useful.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thank you for the welcome David! Definitely a lot of helpful info here.
      Take care,
      John

Comment

Having the desired tone in your head is 90% of the problem in my opinion. Without that it doesn't make much sense or have much hope of success. Welcome to the fourm and good luck. Everyone here probably means well, but getting to the tone in your head is still not an easy thing at all.
        www.sonnywalton.com
        How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Hi. I've started winding myself quite recently and it's been a lot easier than I expected. Magnet wire is very fragile so you'll probably get a few breaks on your first couple of coils. After that, if you can work patiently and carefully, breaks should be pretty rare. Doesn't take long to get the feel of it.

With my first attempts. I think I had one or maybe two bobbins that failed. One humbucker was way too bright so the wire got ripped off to start again. The other two I've wound were both decent pickups so that's a strike rate of one in two coils. Maybe you'll do better but I'm pretty happy with that. Magnet wire is cheap, after all.

I think you're right to say that research is important. If you have a good idea of the variables, you should be able to adjust your formula after each experiment to get closer to the sound you want. Otherwise you're just shooting in the dark.

Comment

Thanks again Mcgruff and Sonny..I am in the process of finishing up the winder.. actually two of them.. one from an old sewing machine and one starting from scratch. I also expect to finish cutting the flatware soon...I am very excited to start! Thank you for your words of encouragement

Take care,
            John

Comment

Working...
            X