Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber Java Kit

Has anyone built a Weber Java Kit.
    It appears to be a Trainwreck Express on Steroids.
    Weber Original Design Kits
    If you look at their schematic, and compare it to the Expresses.
    https://taweber.powweb.com/store/java_schem.jpg
    http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/...k/wreckxpr.pdf
    I'm wondering why they don't use a choke.
    I notice none of the TWs use Chokes.
    Looks like hum and noise would be an issue?
    Any comments on both the Trainwreck Express and the Java Appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

The TW Express is tightly tuned for B+ sag induced compression. There is a story that Ken could hear the difference between 9.1K and 10K resistors in the decoupling string while listening over the phone. I'd like to get ahold of one to measure the gain and compression.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
      The TW Express is tightly tuned for B+ sag induced compression. There is a story that Ken could hear the difference between 9.1K and 10K resistors in the decoupling string while listening over the phone. I'd like to get ahold of one to measure the gain and compression.
      So what happens if you use a Choke?
      Will it drastically change the tone?
      I guess I could try it both ways if and when I build it?
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Unless you have NOS preamp tubes, the correct NOS EL34s, the right carbon impregnated black dye wire and correct zinc oxide dye wire... both of which will need to be glued down to the sweet spot on the chassis, plus those old TMI trannys.... you aren't going to get a Trainwreck.
        Regardless, stay away from cheap Chinese parts and Chinese transformers and you'll get a very good sounding handmade amp.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

The Java kit uses CF to drive the tonestack. I don't remember seeing an Express schematic that did that.
          "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
            The Java kit uses CF to drive the tonestack. I don't remember seeing an Express schematic that did that.
            If you look the CF is Optional.
            It can be built with or without it.
            I was actually shooting for a 2204, but Weber didn't make one.
            The Java looked like about the closest thing.
            Looked like a lot of parts there that can be made into something.
            The Guy I was going to build for doesn't have a lot of Jack.
            T
            Terry

Comment

After further searching through different schematics, the Java is just a variation of the 6G6 Bassman.
              I think I will make my own variation of the 6G6 and put it in a JTM45 Cab, with a choke!
              http://www.el34world.com/charts/Sche...SSMAN_6G6A.pdf
              Terry

Comment

I think that part of what you're noticing is that the basic topology of some of these gainy boutique amps looks like a lot like a Princeton Reverb with a jumper in place of the reverb mix resistor. some values get tweaked along the way to voice the amp.
                "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

I ordered some stuff way back, no kit though. I seem to remember weber being cheaper then most vendors, but the stuff I got wasn't, well lets to it, as robust as I had hope.

Edit, you sure you want an amplifier without reverb?
                  In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by überfuzz View Post
                    I ordered some stuff way back, no kit though. I seem to remember weber being cheaper then most vendors, but the stuff I got wasn't, well lets to it, as robust as I had hope.

Edit, you sure you want an amplifier without reverb?
                    Going to build another amp with gain, without reverb.
                    Will sell my friend one of the two. I will have after I build this one.
                    He wants to buy my 2204 clone, but I will need something to replace it.
                    He likes my 2204, He Says it Has Balls!
                    He has a bunch of combo amps with reverb but doesn't ever use it.
                    He does use some pedals though.
                    I will probably order some stuff from weber, and some stuff from mojo.
                    I have an account with mojo, but some of their stuff still high IMO at a discount.
                    TubeDepot has some pretty good prices on some stuff, like loose resistors.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Working...
                    X