Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5E3 grounding: will this work instead of the brass plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E3 grounding: will this work instead of the brass plate?

I've built a few Mission kits for myself using the brass plate and this schematic.
    My buddy brought my a bunch of parts to build him a 5E3 as well, but no brass plate.
    Can I wire the grounds like so?
    http://privatepollution.com/images/Grounding.jpg

You can, but having just gone through this myself I highly recommend this:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t32366/
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
      You can, but having just gone through this myself I highly recommend this:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t32366/
      Tks Randall. That makes sense.
      Did you run a bus on the back of the pots as well or just stick to what Bruce said in his first reply?

Comment

I ran short separate ground wires from the pots lugs to my preamp chassis ground under the input jacks. Mine is very quiet, but either way works well with this circuit I believe. I have looked carefully at a $2,000+ Clark 5E3, and it has a brass plate with all the chassis grounds that a vintage Fender has, with no fancy ground improvements, and it's quiet. So I'm not sure how much difference this all makes.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
          I ran short separate ground wires from the pots lugs to my preamp chassis ground under the input jacks. Mine is very quiet, but either way works well with this circuit I believe. I have looked carefully at a $2,000+ Clark 5E3, and it has a brass plate with all the chassis grounds that a vintage Fender has, with no fancy ground improvements, and it's quiet. So I'm not sure how much difference this all makes.
          Any chance you have some pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny toetags View Post
            Can I wire the grounds like so?
            http://privatepollution.com/images/Grounding.jpg
            I would move the green ground on your diagram to the preamp filter cap (the one on the left closest to the input jacks) and connect all the pot grounds (including the cap on the Tone pot) to that instead of the pot shells.
            WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
            REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

The normal channel will not work right if you put that green wire to the jack like that.
              Bruce

Mission Amps
              Denver, CO. 80022
              www.missionamps.com
              303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
                The normal channel will not work right if you put that green wire to the jack like that.
                Tks Bruce.
                I'm actually finishing up the amp using what you suggested in the thread Randall suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny toetags View Post
                  Tks Bruce.
                  I'm actually finishing up the amp using what you suggested in the thread Randall suggested.
                  Next time I have another fifty 5E3 chassis made up I think I'll have them do and extra 15 or 20 brass ground plates... I sure get a lot of calls every year asking to buy a 5E3 brass plate... I think maybe only Weber VST and Mission Amps use the brass plate ground system in their kits.
                  Bruce

Mission Amps
                  Denver, CO. 80022
                  www.missionamps.com
                  303-955-2412

Comment

The Clark I looked at had a brass plate.

Comment

Working...
                    X