Solder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
    It doesn't even say that it includes flux.
    Down at the bottom under Q&A,
    Q: Is this rosin core
    A: yes rosin core
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
      Down at the bottom under Q&A,
      Q: Is this rosin core
      A: yes rosin core
      I stand corrected.

An additional thought is that everyone should realize that good flux is important for a good solder joint result. Therefore, a builder will want to be sure that they use a quality solder product. Considering all the work that goes into a build the amount of solder actually needed is very small.

I do feel the pain of finding that the price of solder is rising so steeply.

Cheers,
      Tom

Comment

I've been using Rat Shack solder for my last three 8oz. spools. It's plain ol' 60/40 rosin core. I use .032" but they also sell .062". I bought my first spool because I needed solder fast. I liked it. So I just kept using it. I've used a few different solders and I can't find any fault with the stuff. It doesn't smoke excessively. It doesn't stink. It's consistent and seems to have a good solder to flux ratio.

Radio Shack is having a promotion sale that will continue until June. Buy $30+ worth of stuff and get a coupon for $10 off your next purchase over $30!!! Their solder is sold on 8oz. spools for $14.49. So... You buy two spools and a nine volt battery. Then use the coupon for your next purchase of two spools and a nine volt battery. Just consider that you paid full price for the batteries and the solder only cost you $24 a pound! But wait, there's more! You get another coupon! Use it for another two spools and a battery and your price per pound average drops to $22. Now you have a five years worth of solder (and a few batteries) And you didn't have to pay shipping!

DON'T use water flux solder! It's corrosive!!! DON'T use clear flux solder! It smells like a$$.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

That still makes this look like a good deal at $22.95 a pound.
          Tech Supplies
          No tax cause they are in memphis, and I need to order a bunch of resistors for a amp build, anyway.
          They only charge $4.95 shipping on orders under $99, over 99 and shipping is free.
          I live west of L.R., AR. if I order one day I get it the next.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Indeed. I could have saved a lot of scheming and come out at the same price! Added to favorites! I'm due for a new spool of solder before my next build can happen.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Kester 26-6040-0061 | Leaded Cored Wire Solder | SN60PB40 | 66 Core 44 Flux | .062", 5 lb

$22.36
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

David, have you purchased this item? I might be suspicious that they're selling it for one fifth the price of the other linked site. Especially since that site is selling it for less than other sites!?! It could be a typo. Maybe it's $22.36 per pound, sold on a five pound spool or it's actually a one pound spool. I only mention it because I just had a fiasco with a wire distributor that liked to add type hinky specs. They're 600V lead wire is actually UL rated (and printed on the wire) at 150V!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                  David, have you purchased this item? I might be suspicious that they're selling it for one fifth the price of the other linked site. Especially since that site is selling it for less than other sites!?! It could be a typo. Maybe it's $22.36 per pound, sold on a five pound spool or it's actually a one pound spool. I only mention it because I just had a fiasco with a wire distributor that liked to add type hinky specs. They're 600V lead wire is actually UL rated (and printed on the wire) at 150V!!!
                  I put it in the shopping cart and it said that price for a 5 lb roll.
                  I never did get down to where I could get the price of shipping.
                  I called the 800 number and got an after hours recording.
                  I will call and find out Monday. Now that is more like it!
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

I've been using Futurlec's solder, which is good and cheap but man their shipping takes forever. Solder

That Janel price is incredible, even after the $15 shipping.

Comment

Well Mr.Schwab, I'll see your 5 lbs. and raise you Kester 28-6040-0061 | Leaded, 44 RA Cored Solder Wire | SN60PB40 | 66 Core 44 Flux | .062", 20 lb
                      20lbs., same price.
                      I did notice that the 25lb box of even cheaper (approx.$14) bar solder had quantity 25 showing. I think the prices are per pound, qty. should be showing 5 or 20 rather than 1.
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I figure it is a misprint.
                        I imagine if you order and get all excited about the good price, it will just be an exercise in futility!
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

I'm thinking those prices have to be adjusted rates per pound.
                          "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Yes, price per pound. Qty. is in error, should be showing like this one, for the 25 lb box the qty is 25: Kester Ultrapure Leaded Bar Solder | 04-6040-0050 SN60PB40

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
                              Yes, price per pound. Qty. is in error, should be showing like this one, for the 25 lb box the qty is 25: Kester Ultrapure Leaded Bar Solder | 04-6040-0050 SN60PB40
                              They seem to be full of typos.
                              They say this about the above product.
                              60 percent Tin and 50 percent Lead.
                              Seems rather difficult to do.
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

> 60 percent Tin and 50 percent Lead.

Maybe they're just someone who's willing to give 110% for their customers.
                                "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Working...
                                X