No announcement yet.

Solder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next they are going to be paying us to take it off their hands!
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Alright, who's going to be the guinea pig on that?
      I would FIND a way to mount a 20 Lb. spool somewhere around here!

LOL.

Comment

I've seen this happen. If your check out price is $22.36 subtotal they're going to send you a 1lb spool. Check the shipping price. Does it represent 20lbs.? I didn't look.
        Last edited by Chuck H; 05-05-2013, 10:22 PM.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I checked the product listing at kester.com and they don't even list a 20 pound package for the 60/40 solder. Just 1 pound and 5 pound spools. In addition all their price references are shown as "price per pound."

Comment

A 20 lb spool is an industrial size. I think that Kester is trying to get away from 60/40 Sn/Pb solder because of ROHS. Since everything for industry is heading toward ROHS compliance, it's not surprising that the industrial sized spools of 60/40 lead solder aren't even listed in the latest Kester catalog. If I had to bet, I'd say that Kester isn't even winding up 20 lb spools of 60/40 lead solder any more. That SKU probably isn't even available.

Notice that the seller's listing says "subject to availability." Well, if Kester isn't making it then availability is likely to be a problem.

I don't think anyone's going to get the 20 lb spools.

Even if the 20 lb spool were available, I couldn't use it. It takes me so long to go through a 1 lb spool that a 5 lb spool would last my lifetime. A 20 lb spool would be like having a boatanchor lying around.
            Last edited by bob p; 05-05-2013, 11:53 PM.
            "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

The pricing error has been fixed on the web site. Now all the spools reflect a price of about $22/lb.

After seeing the change I talked to the supplier. They said that they only stock 1 lb spools and that 5 lb spools are special order items with a 5 week lead time.

So much for the killer deal.
              Last edited by bob p; 05-06-2013, 05:58 PM.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
                The pricing error has been fixed on the web site. Now all the spools reflect a price of about $22/lb.

After seeing the change I talked to the supplier. They said that they only stock 1 lb spools and that 5 lb spools are special order items with a 5 week lead time.

So much for the killer deal.
                I saw that.
                There website is a real Cluster-F.
                Got errors and confusion all over it.
                I think I will pass on buying anything from them.
                Some of their stuff looks misleading on purpose.
                Not Good!
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

The misleading errors made me think of a bait and switch operation. Here's how that type of MO could work:

They use lowball prices to get you to to come to a site that you'd never come to otherwise. They offer an unrealistic price to entice you to buy a 5 lb spool of solder that they don't even have in stock. You place an order, and they bill your credit card right away, before they even ship. A few days later you get an email telling you that the item you wanted isn't available, and it's a special order item that will take 5 weeks to deliver. Then they ask if you'd be willing to allow them to change your order to a 1 lb spool because they have those in stock and can ship it right away.

That's a shifty way to draw customers to your site. Perhaps some people will buy there who wouldn't buy there otherwise. I'd rather deal with a merchant that is up-front about everything. I'd also prefer to buy solder locally so I don't have to add-on shipping charges from across the country.

Perhaps their business model expects people to just say "OK" when the guy contacts you and asks if it;s OK to ship a 1 lb spool instead.

Comment

Well... I'm not going to say "I told you so". Oh wait!.. Oops.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

the ad was deliberately confusing -- the ads for the 5 lb and 20 lb spools of solder did not use a part number that corresponded to a 1 lb spool, as you might have predicted. what's interesting is that these ads used legitimate factory part numbers for 5 lb and 20 lb spools. if you look up the spools up at other suppliers using these part numbers, the part numbers in the links on that janel site *do* correspond to 5 lb and 20 lb spools. if you tried to purchase the 5 lb spool, they'd issue an invoice with the proper sku for a 5 lb spool, and they'd even call it a 5 lb spool in the description. after you took the bait, and they rang up the invoice and billed your credit card, then they ask if you want to cancel the order or switch to the 1 lb spool.

Comment

Like the Cliche, "If It Seems too good to be true, it probably is".
                        Ain't it the Truth?
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

I highly recommend SN-62...it's a eutectic solder with 2% silver. I originally got it for soldering to the silver plating on piezo ceramic blocks because it doesn't leach off the silver, but now I use it for everything. It's a joy to work with and is a little bit stronger than SN-63.

Comment

Hi Rick,
                            long time no see.

That stuff ain't cheap http://www.newark.com/kester-solder/...189/dp/34C5668
                            Last edited by David King; 07-20-2013, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Indeed! Sounds like just the stuff for pickups. Especially those that use silver plated wire. But we're neanderthals on the amp forum. Dainty, expensive solder like that confuses and scares us.

Comment

For what I do, the Kester 44 60/40, or 63/37 is in my price range, and my weapon of choice.
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X