Solder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solder?

Where is the best prices on Lead Solder.
    I like the Kester 44. .062"
    It is $28.84 for a pound at Mojo, Ouch!
    What is the Deal on Solder?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t24620/

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
      I just read the whole thread.
      No ones says where to buy solder at a discount?
      I was hoping to come up with some purchasing alternatives!
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Yeah, me too.
        That's about where we ended up.
        Nada, nuttin'.

Comment

I found this on amazon.
          It has a water soluble, 63/37.
          Not sure what all that means.
          Has anyone tried it, it has a good price.
          Amazon.com: Kester 24-6337-6403 331 Organic Water Soluble Cored Wire Sn63/Pb37, 66 Core, 031"dia: Home Improvement
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            I found this on amazon.
            It has a water soluble, 63/37.
            Not sure what all that means.
            Has anyone tried it, it has a good price.
            Amazon.com: Kester 24-6337-6403 331 Organic Water Soluble Cored Wire Sn63/Pb37, 66 Core, 031"dia: Home Improvement
            The flux is some organic acid in water, versus rosin. Do not use this unless you are able to clean the soldered article with lots of hot water. This type of flux is used in circuit board soldering to reduce the difficulty of cleaning all flux off the board after soldering. This works well so long as one chooses waterproof components, which isn't hard. But a pickup coil will be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
              The flux is some organic acid in water, versus rosin. Do not use this unless you are able to clean the soldered article with lots of hot water. This type of flux is used in circuit board soldering to reduce the difficulty of cleaning all flux off the board after soldering. This works well so long as one chooses waterproof components, which isn't hard. But a pickup coil will be a problem.
              I build some amps too.
              Was trying to come up with an alternative to the Kester 44.
              Guess I'll just stick with it.
              So Joe, or someone, could you explain the different solders, like some are 60/40, etc.
              I think it has to do with the amount of lead vs. Tin, but I forget?
              T
              Terry

Comment

could you explain the different solders, like some are 60/40, etc.
                I think it has to do with the amount of lead vs. Tin, but I forget?
                T
                60/40 is 60% Tin / 40% lead. Each alloy has a different melting point and strength. There are multiple different types and even more if you consider the type of flux. There can even be three numbers in the mix if there is a little silver included. Non lead solders are taking over so I think that is affecting the price of the traditional 60/40 tin/lead type.
                Last edited by Tom Phillips; 04-28-2013, 03:49 AM.

Comment

The 63/37 is what it known as a "eutectic" solder. Eutectic system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  These are really nice to use because the melting point is a bit lower and they cross from liquid to solid at a precise point so there's much less chance of a bum joint from moving things as they cool. A pound of solder goes a LONG way so don't try to save a few bucks and get the wrong stuff. The Kimber cable Wonder Solder is what i use. It runs about $40/lb but it saves me a lot of time (and I can immediately brag about how awesome it sounds.)

Comment

I will order some of this. This is the best price I've seen lately.
                    I am going to order some amp parts from them anyway.
                    Kester "44" 1 lb 60/40 Solder .050" Diameter
                    That is the size I like.
                    They have smaller solder, but it is more money.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Whew!
                      That is some thick solder.
                      I don't know but I will reach for .036 for everyday stuff & .024 for surface mount components.
                      I have a roll of .062 that I rarely use.
                      The thicker the solder diameter the more flux residue you will have.
                      That is important to me on PCBs.
                      Whatever you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                        Whew!
                        That is some thick solder.
                        I don't know but I will reach for .036 for everyday stuff & .024 for surface mount components.
                        I have a roll of .062 that I rarely use.
                        The thicker the solder diameter the more flux residue you will have.
                        That is important to me on PCBs.
                        Whatever you like.
                        Whatever your used to.
                        I worked in bell telephone offices for 42 years, and we used much bigger solder than that.
                        I like the .062, but the .050 would be great for me.
                        I have several rolls of the small solder if I want it.
                        I was thinking of ordering 2 or 3 rolls of the the .050, it will only go up.
                        This country has a war on lead right now.
                        Buy a car battery or try to find some shotgun shells with lead shot.
                        I'm sure it will only go up.
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

I remember doing Stained Glass work.
                          0.125 solder.
                          Here is an Ebay sale for $16.00
                          New 1 lb 60 40 Solder 1 0mm 3 64" 1 16" SDR1 | eBay

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                            I remember doing Stained Glass work.
                            0.125 solder.
                            Here is an Ebay sale for $16.00
                            New 1 lb 60 40 Solder 1 0mm 3 64" 1 16" SDR1 | eBay
                            Thanks!
                            But, I don't have a FleeBay Account.
                            I'm going to stick with the Kester 44 right now, I like their flux.
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

...I'm going to stick with the Kester 44 right now, I like their flux.
                              But the ebay offering is labeled "Super Solder Wire" (Must be good!) and "Size: 60%" I wonder what the other 40% of the size is? It doesn't even say that it includes flux.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X