Affordable Fender 6L6 style kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable Fender 6L6 style kit

As you can probably tell I'm a total noob to amp building. I currently own five tube amps and have maintained them and have done minor mods to them as well over the past 30 years or so. I've always been a Marshall guy (I currently own 2 JMP's, a JCM, JTM and two small Fender EL-84 combos) but I'm looking for a clean Fender 6L6 sound. I believe it might be called a 5E7 style amp that I'm looking to build but I'm not exactly sure of the designations used.

In the past I've owned a silver face Twin (too big) and a '66 or '67 BandMaster head (very briefly as I sold it after only a few weeks). The Bandmaster had a beautiful clean tone but it lacked clean headroom but I suppose that could have been due to the biasing or tubes, ect:

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any assistance in choosing a kit as I'm not even exactly sure which style I'm looking for.

I don't need a cabinet, tubes or speakers. I'd like reverb (or at least the option to add it later on) but it's not a deal breaker.

Sorry if my post leaves a lot of questions unanswered but I really don't even know where to start.

Thanks for any assistance.
    Rob.

A 5E7 Bandmaster was the Tweed 3X10 version. Not what I would usually consider a 'clean' amp compared to later BF Fenders with reverb, Pro Reverb, Super Reverb etc. Something based on the AB763 circuit might be more what you're looking for.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

Agree with Joe.
      If a Twin's too big, and Bandmaster not loud enough then something based on a Super Reverb may fit the bill.
      https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_60a.htm#6A40H
      Pete
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
        Agree with Joe.
        If a Twin's too big, and Bandmaster not loud enough then something based on a Super Reverb may fit the bill.
        https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_60a.htm#6A40H
        Pete
        Thanks Joe, At the time I didn't realize the A 5E7 was the Tweed version. I've had some time to do some research since my original post.

Pete, I'll look in to the Weber kit. Price seems ok. Without tubes and cab I'd be looking at $500+ shipping.

Much appreciated!

Comment

Mojo has the the BF Super Reverb in either a Combo, or Head.
          You can buy it with different options.
          I've heard some of the weber parts like the Iron are questionable.
          If you know someone with a Mojo Dealer discount, you can even save more money!
          Blackface Super Reverb Style Head Kit
          T
          Last edited by big_teee; 04-29-2013, 03:49 PM.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

It's hard to be objective when it comes to what's clean and not. In my ears the 5F6A is quite rough and prone to break up. Sniff around youtube and have a listen. The fact that you're a Marshall dude might result in a love story since the 5F6A is the amp that got Marshall going in the first place. (It's known as a Bassman 59, the original circuit has no reverb.)
            In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Check out the kits at Marsh Amplification. The chassis and faceplates are true to the originals which makes for a very handsome amp.

I built a BF VibroVerb using their chassis with mostly original molded blue caps that I had. It looks absolutely killer and sounds fantastic. I used Heybour transformers from Mojo. The PT is for the VV/Super and I used a Twin Reverb OT for more low end meat. Since the amp only has two 6L6s I just relabeled the 4 and 8 on taps as 8 and 16 ohms and put a switch in the polarity hole. Thru the Weber 15" California it sounds so clean and sweet (exactly like SRVs Lenny on Texas Flood). Thru my '77 Marshal cab it flat ass rips!

I had already built a BF Deluxe Reverb using Webers chassis and had to have a faceplate custom made. The input jacks are spaced wrong and the doghouse cover is so large, you can't push the amp in enough to be flush with the front of the baffle.

Whichever way you go, holler if and when you need info. I've got plenty.

Here is an AB763 clone from Rockford Amps. Good parts and a very, very nice layout.

Last edited by Joe L; 04-29-2013, 04:21 PM.
              ..Joe L

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                Thanks Joe, At the time I didn't realize the A 5E7 was the Tweed version. I've had some time to do some research since my original post.

Pete, I'll look in to the Weber kit. Price seems ok. Without tubes and cab I'd be looking at $500+ shipping.

Much appreciated!
                If I wanted an AB763 type amp, I'd get an Allen amp kit. A little pricier, but high quality components and good support from David Allen.

Allen Amplification - Quality Tube Guitar Amps, Kit, Parts, and Repairs
                "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
                  If I wanted an AB763 type amp, I'd get an Allen amp kit. A little pricier, but high quality components and good support from David Allen.
                  I've heard a lot of good things about David's amps. They are a bit pricey though.
                  ..Joe L

Comment

Thanks all....This is not going to be an easy decision. Some amp kits are a much more expensive compared to others.

The problem is that I don't know enough about amplifier components to tell the marketing hype from the truth. No offense meant to anybody directly.

People fall hard for the BS and marketing hype every day when shopping for guitar pickups so I'm guessing it might be similar with amplifier components.

Been doing some more research and still have a lot more to do so I'll let you all know what I decide upon.
                    Thanks!

Comment

Sound like good plan. Either way you go, at the end you have to trust the vendor when you finally click on [submit]. My first build ever was a Twin Reverb and I'm still head over heels...
                      In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

That Super Reverb kit from Mojo looks to be a winner.

My opinion on "what counts".

1. Output transformer. Never had a bad sounding Heybour.
                        2. Brand and longevity ratings for electrolytics. Spragues are not what they used to be in HV values.
                        3. Layout of parts and wiring, specially grounds. Look at a '64 Super Reverb and a later one by CBS.
                        4. Pots - Alphas sound just fine but get noisy in a few years here in Louisiana.
                        5. Cloth covered solid core pull back wire. Very easy for beginners to use. Stranded teflon is nice but expensive.
                        6. Capacitors. I like yellow ones and orange ones. Oh, and blue ones. In other words, its hard to hear a difference in a blind test.
                        7. I like Carbon Film Xicons from Mouser in 1 watt, 500v rated. As far as sound differences, I believe more in the Tooth Fairy.

None of this matters if it doesn't look BITCHIN!

My VibroVerb. Plastic is still on the faceplate.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	VibroVerb.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	828884
                        ..Joe L

Comment

Originally posted by Joe L View Post
                          I've heard a lot of good things about David's amps. They are a bit pricey though.
                          Yes, but one factor to consider is support if you have problems with the kit. Nice to know help is available if you get stuck. Not so much of an issue with an experienced builder.
                          - Yogi Berra

Comment

The Super Reverb would be a great amp once you got it all completed.
                            A lot of the amp companies are selling remarketed Mojo Parts.
                            Don't know if that is the case of the Allen, and the Marsh amp Parts.
                            I think TubeDepot Amp kits use Mojo Chassis, and cabinets, don't know about their components.
                            Weber orders all of their import stuff, Direct I suppose.
                            So I think a lot of the kits are using the very same stuff, with maybe their own touches with small components used?
                            T
                            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              The Super Reverb would be a great amp once you got it all completed.
                              A lot of the amp companies are selling remarketed Mojo Parts.
                              Don't know if that is the case of the Allen, and the Marsh amp Parts.
                              I think TubeDepot Amp kits use Mojo Chassis, and cabinets, don't know about their components.
                              Weber orders all of their import stuff, Direct I suppose.
                              So I think a lot of the kits are using the very same stuff, with maybe their own touches with small components used?
                              T
                              AFAIK, the Marsh and Allen kits are not Mojo parts. Though they may in some instances use the same supplier for parts, i.e. transformers, etc.

If the OP is looking more for a more exact Fender replica, the Mojo fits the bill better than the Allen kits, which, although many are based on classic AB763 Fender's design, have unique features as well.
                              Last edited by JoeM; 04-30-2013, 05:19 PM.
                              - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
                              X