Affordable Fender 6L6 style kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
    AFAIK, the Marsh and Allen kits are not Mojo parts. Though they may in some instances use the same supplier for parts, i.e. transformers, etc.

If the OP is looking more for a more exact Fender replica, the Mojo fits the bill better than the Allen kits, which, although many are based on classic AB763 Fender's design, have unique features as well.
    Thanks for the info!
    My problem with all of the better kits, IMHO, They are all Too Damn High!
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Joe L View Post
      T
      My VibroVerb. Plastic is still on the faceplate.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]23121[/ATTACH]
      Your build looks beautiful Joe. Was it a kit or did you piece it together?

I've changed my mind and decided I want to build a combo so I'll need a cabinet.
      After listening to countless clips I'm also now undecided between a 6L6 and 6V6 build but I'm very fond of the Deluxe Reverb and the Vibrolux Reverb amps.
      All of the different Fender circuits are confusing me. If I were looking for a Marshall kit I'd have no problem.

The first minute and 30 seconds of THIS video is the sound I'm looking for. But it's a 6V6 amp with a 6L6 conversion which only confuses me more.

It seems that Weber and Mojo are the least expensive. Is there anything wrong with the Weber kits?

Some sites like Ceriatone are very difficult to navigate.

I really want to build my own amp but trying to figure out which company's kit is supposed to be used for a certain Fender amp is driving me nuts.
      Last edited by Stratz; 05-10-2013, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
        It seems that Weber and Mojo are the least expensive. Is there anything wrong with the Weber kits?
        I just built a Weber 5E3. The cabinet construction is a little sloppy - the exposed pine on the inside of the cab is covered in glue overspray and one of the box joints doesn't look perfectly flush. I've had to replace the pilot light holder (broke during installation), the input jacks (shorting terminals weren't making contact) and now the solder lugs on the pots aren't making contact with the wiper and disc. It came with ceramic sockets, but they're really cheap. The "cloth covered" wire is pretty awful.

I guess the only thing I really like about it is the price, and there's something to be said for that; if this kit weren't so cheap I wouldn't have a 5E3 at all. Kinda paying the same amount as a more expensive kit, only I'm bartering about $300 worth of frustration instead of cash.

On the whole though I'm still considering getting the Weber ReVibe kit some day.

Comment

Your build looks beautiful Joe. Was it a kit or did you piece it together?
          My part preferences are too well defined to be covered by one kit or supplier. Plus I have managed to build up some stock over the years.

Chassis, circuit boards and faceplates from Marsh Amplification. Pots are a mixture of new CTS from Mojo and old but good CTS from old Fenders I have owned. Resistors are 1 watt Xicon Carbon film except for a few nos carbon comps where they might matter. Electrolytic caps on the board are 25uF/25v spragues. The ones in the doghouse are F&T. The caps on the board are all old stock blue molded along with the ceramic tone caps. Jacks are all switchcraft with insulators so I could control the ground scheme. Switches are Carling. Reverb tank from Mojo. Transformers are the Mojo Heybour MOJO762EX for power and the 100w Twin Reverb output with switchable 8/16 ohm impedance using the Polarity switch hole.

I forget where I got the cabinet hardware but I built and covered the fingerjointed cabinet in my woodshop. The baffle is Baltic Birch with leftover cloth from another project. The speaker is the Weber California 15.

I've changed my mind and decided I want to build a combo so I'll need a cabinet.
          After listening to countless clips I'm also now undecided between a 6L6 and 6V6 build but I'm very fond of the Deluxe Reverb and the Vibrolux Reverb amps.

Weber makes good speakers but there has been issues with the quality of their electronics. I would say for an experienced builder with parts on hand they could be a good deal but not for a first BF Fender style build.

As far as models of Fenders, don't be confused. From the tone you heard on that youtube recording, you want 6L6s. The Deluxe Reverb doesn't normally have that low end.

I still say, the Mojo Super Reverb is the best quality for the money. It is the same basic amp as the Pro, Vibrolux and Vibroverb but is the only one with a Mid control on the second channel. It is wide enough to put 2-10s, 1-12, 2-12s or 1-15 depending on the cabinet you stuff it in. I would make sure to get an output transformer that supports 2/4/8 ohm speakers for flexibility.

It may not be the cheapest, but it will make a great amp.
          ..Joe L

Comment

...The first minute and 30 seconds of THIS video is the sound I'm looking for. But it's a 6V6 amp with a 6L6 conversion which only confuses me more...
            The amp in the clip has a circuit called AB763 in it. It's a very popular circuit, among Fender nerds. The thing with AB763 amps, if you ask me, is that it comes down to the playing style. If you're hard playing guitarist you might need a bigger AB763 amp, or on the other hand if you play softer you might wanna go for a smaller. Break up comes with how much signal your guitar pumps. Along with that the other thing to consider is that a bigger AB763s pump a lots of volume before they start to break up, smaller AB763s break up with lower volume.
            In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

That's the most beautiful lead dress I've ever seen. Its immaculate.
              The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

With the Mojotone kit you get a layout & schematic & possibly not a beginner project , I know other companys kits like Trinity includes about 50 pages on safety ,trouble shooting & lead dress & how to get rid of hiss & hum.
                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Working...
                X