Sunn model t 2nd gen tone stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunn model t 2nd gen tone stage

Quick question from a beginner. I have as the title says a second gen and I'm wondering what the value of the bass response is all the way to the treble and whether the mid switch has a lot of effect over it (thinking of having it disabled). The point being, I want to see if I can change the values of the tone controls to better suit my guitar tuning. Is this possible? (I have not looked inside it yet and don't have any electronic maintenance/operating equipment yet).

Thanks for any help!

The Sunn Model T is not an amp that could/should be modified by a beginner. It contains high voltage that can be lethal. Do not open the amp or attempt service or mods until you have at least 2 years education in electronics.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I forgot to mention that I wasn't going to open it up. It's more of a hypothetical. Silly me.

Comment

We just don't want to read a sad story about you in the newspaper, that's all.

Hypothetically, which one is the second generation? Link a schematic. I have the original in my files and the Fender version. How many more are there?

A couple thoughts. Most tone controls are not like graphic equalizers - the controls do not sit on one note. The controls all interact, so the frequencies most affected by one control will change with different settings of the other controls.

The tone stack is only one small part of the tonal structure of an amp. There is tone shaping and response shaping bits all over most amps.

Not sure why you would disable a tone switch, if you don;t prefer a setting, don't switch to it.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The first generation of the Model T (1972) was a 5F6A type circuit with a 4x6550 ultralinear output stage rated at 150W. The 2nd generation (1975 "Model T (Super)") was the same power amp with more of an Ampeg James type tone controls and an inductor based mid control and a three way frequency switch. Both had the Normal/Brite two input channels with a jack that bridged the inputs. These bring insane money on ebay.

The Fender/Sunn Model T is only 100W. It's a Model T in name only.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

That would be a bit of a shock. Okay, I guess I'm a bit unsure as to how responsive The bass end would be around 50hz to about 2.4khz? Obviously, I can still hear it but I'm curious as to whether there is a way to adjust certain values in each part of the tone section (bass mid and treble) to better reproduce the frequencies within that spectrum, if that makes sense? And the mid-range switch is between 750hz to 3k, and I don't really like what it does. I found this after looking into it Eliminating the Midrange Boost At Zero! This guy talks about disabling his mid-switch in the same way. If there are better ways to shape your tone within the amp I'd love to hear them!

Comment

How about trying an EQ pedal?

Comment

Working...
              X