Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quik'n'Dirty way to fix tiny tear in Fender grille cloth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quik'n'Dirty way to fix tiny tear in Fender grille cloth?

This is a 1999 Fender Champ 30 with a tiny tear that is contained within a 1/2" square. It is over the speaker cutout so there is good access to both sides. I am more concerned about it unraveling and getting worse than the cosmetic aspect. I was thinking of gluing something on the back of the tear- perhaps some kind of finely woven cloth? (I used to use fiberglass bus screen for all sorts of repairs but I am fresh out of it.)
    Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Steve Ahola
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

how good are you at sewing?
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
      This is a 1999 Fender Champ 30 with a tiny tear that is contained within a 1/2" square. It is over the speaker cutout so there is good access to both sides. I am more concerned about it unraveling and getting worse than the cosmetic aspect. I was thinking of gluing something on the back of the tear- perhaps some kind of finely woven cloth? (I used to use fiberglass bus screen for all sorts of repairs but I am fresh out of it.)
      Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Steve Ahola
      Contact cement...then color it with a felt tip pen, paint, fingernail polish, or whatever. Depending on the material, you might want to melt each end of the tear with the tip of your soldering iron or a hot pin to stop the run if it is synthetic.

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
        The warp & the weft.

Comment

Reweaving is possible, but really impractical for this amp. Look inside at the back of the baffle board, is there any extra cloth on the inside? If there is, you can cut a patch from there.

Comment

I didn't think of that. D'oh! Now I just need to find my silver thread and golden needles to match the Fender grill cloth.

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
            Reweaving is possible, but really impractical for this amp. Look inside at the back of the baffle board, is there any extra cloth on the inside? If there is, you can cut a patch from there.
            When you mentioned patch I was thinking PATCH but actually a very small patch should work great glued to back of the grill cloth with the ends of the tear sealed as suggested by olddawg.

Thanks to everybody for your suggestions!

Steve
            Last edited by Steve A.; 05-01-2013, 08:48 PM.
            The Blue Guitar
            www.blueguitar.org
            Some recordings:

Comment

> Now I just need to find my silver thread and golden needles to match the Fender grill cloth.

don't laugh. fabric stores carry silver thread!

but i wasn't thinking of anything that fancy. and i certainly wasn't thinking about getting as fancy as re-weaving. i was thinking about just using some thread to pull the ripped edges together. if you do that right then it shouldn't be noticeable.
              "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

> Now I just need to find my silver thread and golden needles to match the Fender grill cloth.

don't laugh. fabric stores carry silver thread!

but i wasn't thinking of anything that fancy. and i certainly wasn't thinking about getting as fancy as re-weaving. i was thinking about just using some thread to pull the ripped edges together. if you do that right then it shouldn't be noticeable.
                I would give that a shot if it was a larger tear. I just received a set of hollow punches from Amazon this morning for a different project but I could use one of them to cut a round patch from the material on the back, line it up and then add a few drops of Kwazy glue.

I will keep your suggestion of sewing in mind for other problems.

Thanks!

Steve

P.S. I was not expecting a response while creating a post with multiple quotes. I guess it would be better for me to compose the reply offline and then paste it in all at once rather than posting the first part of the message and then editing it to add the additional quotes. Sorry for any confusion!
                The Blue Guitar
                www.blueguitar.org
                Some recordings:

Comment

Working...
                X