Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender 6G15 Reverb unit, looking to build a project with a 12AT7 instead of a 6K6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender 6G15 Reverb unit, looking to build a project with a 12AT7 instead of a 6K6

I have been considering building a 6G15 Reverb Unit but was looking to use a 12AT7 to drive the reverb tank, like a typical old blackface Fender amp.

My question is, would you recommend applying any other changes to the circuit than replacing the 6K6 with the 12AT7 and obviously the cathode resistor/capacitor ?

I also find it odd that the 6G15 circuit has no input resistor.. any opinions on that?

Not sure what you are looking at but there is a 1 meg resistor on the input jack.... ??
    Personally, I'd go with the 6K6GT version but they both work well with the same little tone tweak mods tossed around on the NET.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

any reason no5t to use the 6V6 like fender does in the 63 reverb reissue?
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Apparently people say the 6K6 sounds better... !?!

And how about the choke, really necessary?

Comment

I recently built a 6G15 for my tweed deluxe and champ and I love it. I usually run it with a NOS 6K6 for a more mellow sound and when I want a bit more punch I will swap in a 6V6.
          My Builds:
          5E3 Deluxe Build
          5F1 Champ Build
          6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Comment

Working...
          X