I Thought I Wound a Pickup but, Got an Ice Pick Instead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by old guy View Post
    This particular problem pup is being mated to a Neck positioned 57 Classic which measures in @ 7.9k... SG Standard. This 57 stays there for life! What got me going on this winding stuff is the fact that I've spent a lot of money searching for an appropriate sounding Bridge pup with the same 'airiness' or 'jangle' or 'definition' as this 57 in the Neck. The 498T, the 490, the Burstbucker 2, the 57 Classic have all 'sucked' in this bridge position as their overall output was at the least, equal to but mostly less than that of the 57 in the Neck. Monday or Tuesday coming, I'll post some 'honest' mp3 clips somewhere for yaz to hear. By 'honest' I mean flat with zero processing.

The neck pup at this time has been flush with body top. The new build is a stinckin' millimeter or 2 from the strings ... it can't get any higher without suckin' down the strings.
    I've gone through the whole magnet stash ... A2, A3, A4 & A5 as well as flipping head over heel - not rolling over on their side. They are fully charged according to vendor. I buy them in groups of 4 so I can have selection.

They are wired as per the Gibson SG Standard schematic which was not posted on Gibson's site. Bob in support, emailed me the actual from 1995 and it happens to be the 50's wiring mod right out of the factory.
    Even though it is now being wired with the V&T pots as well as the stock cap, it is still quieter ... only the icepick has disappeared. Pots are brand new Historic Spec 518k on tone, 524k on Volume.

Butryte bobbins could still take another 1000 turns, me thinks ... but, that's not for me.
    How does it sound right now? Aside from the lower output problem, it's a very what I would call R&R sound. It's the type of sound you'd use all day playing with an overdrive pedal or gain'd up on your amp. I like the cleaner tones like that of a 57 and when overdrive is needed, I like to work the tubes and paper cones with my volume control for creamy distortion. I believe the tonal result is because of the 8.6k .

I gotta tell you guys ... everything is now done 101% right. I believe it's time to look at the overpriced dark purple plain enamel wire, maybe too much scatter, maybe not enough, for some reason I personally suspect in my analism, I wrapped too tight, maybe there's something to the bare 1018 slugs & screws ... like one of yaz said ... it's gonna take a few or more attempts to get it right.
    Have a great weekend and I look forward to posting clips and hearing your responses.
    The neck pickup overpowering the bridge has me puzzled ,how high are your screw poles adjusted ?
    like Terry suggested .the bridge pup should be real close to the strings & the neck pickup about flush with the ring,this is a good starting point to even out your volumes .
    May I ask what kind of guitar they are being tested in ?
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Now that everything is working correctly, your down to personal preferences.
      My preference is a low wound neck and a hotter than vintage bridge.
      Be sure and experiment with different Cap values, and different winds, and different magnets.
      Also on the magnets, you need to go ahead and get into magnet charging.
      Your taking for granted that the magnets are charged at full value.
      I always hit the magnets a lick to full charge before I put them in the pickup.
      They will settle down to their stable value in a few days.
      So my preference is a Neck wound around 7.1-7.2k, with equal coils, and a A2 Magnet.
      I like a bridge with near full coils, and a little more on the slug winding, Usually around 9-9.4k, and a hot A2 Magnet.
      Hotter Neck coils always sound to Middy for me.
      I think if your willing to experiment, you will wind a neck pickup that you will like better than the stock one.
      Good Luck,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        Now that everything is working correctly, your down to personal preferences.
        It doesn't sound like it's "working correctly" to me

Originally posted by old guy View Post
        OProblem now is - where did the volume go??? The neck Burstbucker 1 (Les Paul Standard), is a 7.9K - as is my 57 Classic in SG Standard - and, my creation (for the bridge) is a 8.6k. This dcr should really over power the neck yet it still remains about 75% less in volume.

Comment

It sounds like the bridge pickup is defective.

If you use two of the same pickup, the neck will always be louder. So you want to go with a hotter bridge pickup. It wont have the same toe as the neck in the open sounding treble response because of where it's located on the guitar, and because it's wound hotter.

But all of my bridge humbuckers are louder than the neck pickups.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

The neck is usually louder if put to the same height.
            That is why most run the neck even with the ring or a little above, and run the bridge closer to the strings.
            I still wonder if it isn't a phasing problem.
            If the pickup is wired out of phase, it will be quite a bit lower in volume, and thin sounding.
            He will get it worked out, If he stays at it, I'm sure.
            After all There is only so much we can do from here, sitting in the Arm Chair, Right Rob!
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              I still wonder if it isn't a phasing problem.
              Perhaps this Video may be of assistance to clarify phasing (wthout removing the tape)

Identifying Pickup Wires & Polarities - Humbucker - YouTube

Comment

I'm wondering if he wound them too meticulously,
                resulting in a noticeably smaller coil than what it should be.

-Rob

Comment

Working...
                X