Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• function generator question

Hi All.
    I have a question relating to my signal generator. It has a sweep input. How can I use this to check frequency response of a filter. As far as I can tell, most function generators have a sweep output, not a sweep input???
    HELP!!

Originally posted by diydidi View Post
    Hi All.
    I have a question relating to my signal generator. It has a sweep input. How can I use this to check frequency response of a filter. As far as I can tell, most function generators have a sweep output, not a sweep input???
    HELP!!
    Is "sweep input" the actual nomenclature on the connector?
    Please identify the make and model of your generator. Have you searched for an operator's manual. It would be best if you would locate and post a link to the Op manual.

Comment

Its a newtronics make. No manual available anywhere. Yep, says "sweep input".

Comment

It probably wants a ramp (sawtooth) input and makes a linear sweep. Some oscilloscopes have a ramp output that could be used so frequency would be locked to the screen.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Anything like this one: Newtronics 200MSTPC Am FM Pulse Trig Function Sweep Generator | eBay
          If not, might give someone some idea anyway.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It is for a VCO(Voltage Controlled Oscillator) control voltage, and if it is a linear sawtooth or log ramp waveform, like Loudthud said, will sweep the oscillator frequency in sync with the instantaneous voltage applied. There is usually a symbol indicating if it is negative going ramp or positive going ramp voltage is needed. Most newer generators would expect 0-5 volts for its range of control voltage. Older models might take a higher range.
            There is frequently another output labelled Sweep Out which is a DC voltage which represents the current frequency. That is useful for X/Y displays of frquency domain on standard scopes on the Y axis and amplitude represented on the X axis. It is also used with pen plotters to draw out graphs of the response of the unit under test.

Function generators are not used in audio testing very often because they are not low distortion by nature. But they are handy for generating various non-sinewave signals. Direct Digital Synthesis is taking VCO's place due to low cost, direct digital control and low distortion of any waveform you can think of.

Comment

Working...
            X