Fender OT Winding Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender OT Winding Questions

Looking for some information on the following Fender OTs. Preliminary review of the specs suggests that they've got the right turns ratio and current rating for my application, so now I need to look into construction. Can anyone tell me how the following OT are wound? I'd really like to know if they're just straight wound or interleaved, whether they're a they're a 5 layer design (Sec-Pri-S-P-S) or something else, etc.. thanks.

The lineup:

022848, 35W, 4R, Pro Reverb, Tremolux, vibrolux, bandmaster, vibroverb (or 125A6A)
    050438, 40W, 4/8R, Hot Rod Deluxe
    018343, 50W, 2/4/8R, general replacement
    026478, 100W, 4/8/16, Tonemaster

thanks.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

I've taken apart a dead SF Pro Reverb transformer, and that was straight wound: all of the primary and then all the secondary.

I've done the same with a dead SF Twin transformer and this is interleaved, which from memory is 1/4 secondary, 1/2 primary, 1/2 secondary, 1/2 primary, 1/4 secondary.

Comment

Thanks. I'm guessing that Fender used straight winding on all of the low power stuff, and that they moved to interleaved windings either on the high power amps or in the later (BF/SF) years. any insights would be appreciated on this.

It would be interesting to know what they're doing now, and where the demarcation between straight and interleaved windings might occur. It sounds like all if the Twin style high power amps are 5-way interleaved. It would be interesting to know if that type of winding only occurs with the high power twins, or if the 50w bassman-type amps have it. taking a wild guess, i'm going to speculate that a really inexpensive 40W OT like the Hot Rod Deluxe is going to be straight wound
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Working...
      X