Peavey T-60 Pickup Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey T-60 Pickup Rebuild

I know this is a niche topic, but here's a pair of Peavey T-60 pickups I tore down and rebuilt.
    The "autopsy" photoes and discussion about T-60 "toaster" vs "blade" pickups are here: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t32780/
    This is a personal milestone- my first pickups wound with a motorized winder (a vintage Singer Featherweight sewing machine).

The bridge pickup originally measured 4.0K and 4.35K; the neck pickup was open.
    Decided to install 4-conductor plus ground for flexibility.
    Stripped the epoxy potting with a heat gun, a plastic probe, and some swear words.
    Broke some stuff in the process, but managed to salvage everything but the thin plastic potting tubs.
    Wound the neck to 4500 and 4700 turns (~3.6-3.7K) and the bridge to 5000 and 5200 turns (3.9-4.0K).
    Bobbins individually potted in beeswax/parafin mixture.
    To maintain the look, I vacuum-formed a pair of black plastic faceplates from .02" styrene.
    Backed the faceplates with copper foil & covered the foil with clear tape to prevent electrical shorts.
    Both the faceplate and the steel blades are tied to ground.
    For strain relief, I ran the lead wires between the coils to exit through the side "opposite" from the terminal pins.
    The pickup assemblies are stuck to the baseplates with double-sided foam tape.
    Pickups potted a 2nd time with covers on.

Although fugly under the cover, the pickups work just dandy.
    Clean, bright, possibly less noisy in SC mode than before (possibly wishful thinking).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by big_teee; 05-03-2013, 08:42 PM. Reason: Correct spelling of Tilte, from Peavet, to Peavey
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Continued

Just a couple more pics. OK, I'm done.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rjb; 05-03-2013, 07:37 PM.
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Very Nice Job, and Thank You for sharing with the BC.
      Without me going to the other thread, can you tell us about the blades?
      Is that 2 blades in each bobbin, it looks like two pieces, but of different material.
      Very Unique, and not something you see everyday, in fact I've never seen one before.
      Thanks,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        Is that 2 blades in each bobbin, it looks like two pieces, but of different material.
        No, its a steel blade and a strip of black rubber.

The early "toaster" pickups used bar magnet polepieces; the bobbins had wide slots to accommodate those magnets.
        The later exposed blade pickups used steel polepieces, and redesigned bobbins with narrower slots (and narrower overall dimension).

My pickups look like "toasters" but are built more like "blades".
        It looks to me like someone used up old parts by installing blades in the wide-slotted bobbins and filling the gap with rubber.
        (Nothing wrong with that, as far as I'm concerned.)

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        Very Unique, and not something you see everyday, in fact I've never seen one before.
        Nope, not something you see everyday. Prolly not many people crazy or dumb enough to strip the epoxy potting from one of these.
        And this particular configuration is not supposed to exist. At least that's what I think Chip Todd told me at the T-60 forum.
        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
        X