Trouble with Main Output on Behringer Europower PMP2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with Main Output on Behringer Europower PMP2000

Hello all! I need some help troubleshooting a Behringer Europower PMP2000 I acquired used a few years ago.

Sometime within the past year (I don't recall exactly when) the Right/Mono Main output started acting up on me. I would set up the system as usual but the signal would be abnormally quiet, particularly compared to the Left/Monitor output set to the same volume. On some occasions it would remain at this abnormal quiet state but at other times it would reset to its proper level (which usually resulted in feedback because I had carelessly increased the volume to compensate for the low signal).

I don't recall if the signal indicator on the board corresponded to what I was actually hearing when the problem occurred (ie, it only registered a low amount of signal) or if it still registered the typical amount of signal even though that was not what was coming out.

This happened to me several times so subsequently I just used the Left/Monitor output only so I wouldn't have to deal with the Right/Mono Main potentially giving out on me again.

Today I disassembled the board to see if I could discover any obvious issues internally, which I did not (though granted, I'm not entirely sure what to look for, either than loose connections). I reassembled it and played some music through the system to test out the Right/Mono Main output and it seems to be working fine. However, I would like to see if there's anything that can be done to continue to troubleshoot the issue because I really would like to return the board to a reliable state of operation.

Any suggestions or advice you can provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

David

No thoughts, anyone?

Comment

I don't know.
      How do you fix something that is working?
      At this point, without a good skill level, you risk making a problem if you go in there digging around.
      To make the amp more reliable, you would need to disassemble all the circuit boards & inspect the solder joints.
      Any that look iffy (skill level required) you could touch up.
      I would run it.
      If it works, it works.

Comment

Does it have insert jacks for the left and right outs? If so, maybe they need cleaning, that is probably the most common cause of cutting in and out.
        This article explains the switching jack problem: http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...ck-problem.pdf
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Interesting thought, g-one. I'll try that out.

Comment

The symptoms you describe are very common results of oxidized normalizing jacks, insert jack in any amp or mixer that does not use the jacks very often. With use, oxide seldom develops to be a problem. A little de-oxidizing fluid will take care of that for 6-12 months.

Comment

Pushing a plug in and out of the insert jack several times will sometimes fix it, at least for a while.
              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Thanks all! Hopefully I'll be able to fix it for good.

Comment

Does anybody knows the code thats in T31 AND T33 on a behringer pmp2000. Its says on the board 112 but the transistor is blown off and I need the correct code to purchase it. Thanks!!!

Comment

It is just a common JFET, type J112.

If both those blew apart, I would expect to find other problems in the circuit too.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

T31 & T32 are N channel JFets.
                      The number should read J112.
                      https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/J1/J112.pdf

Comment

Having problems with my main output too. I Connect my mic and see that their is signal in the equalizer section but no sound in the speakers. I've checked all the cables and speakers and it works fine. Anyone could help here, I've checked main output transistors 2sc5200/ 2sa1943 and MJE 15032g/33g and MPS6534/31, they seem alright.

Comment

I received a Behringer EuroPower PMP2000D and it is dead on both L-R channels, but with the INPUT level indicators showing some life when i plugged a microphone or any input device in the INPUT channels...

I tried dismantling it and reseated the flex cables and cleaned them with contact cleaner and plug it back.. Atleast the Right Output Channel (speakon-type) begins to work. However the Left Output Channel is still dead. I tried cleaning both speakon-type output connectors and even swapped them just to confirm it isnt the speakon connector is the problem. Still the same condition, the left channel is dead.

I will try to probe back from the left channel output going back to the board and see what i can find.

Hope you can share me your ideas too. thank you

Comment

Hi Ray
                            Let me suggest you start a new thread for your amp. This thread is dead eight years, and is about a different unit.
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                              Hi Ray
                              Let me suggest you start a new thread for your amp. This thread is dead eight years, and is about a different unit.
                              thanks, i will do.

Comment

Working...
                              X