No announcement yet.

unknown amp and old caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wire nuts have no place in music gear. Solder and heat shrink over connections, or rivet a terminal strip to the chassis to provide a soldering point. Don't forget to put some sort of strain relief on the new 3 prong cord.

Comment

Nashvillebill,
      I couldn't agree more. The guy who did this also used house wire and a grounding screw like you would use for grounding inside a metal box in a residential construction job. I tore it all out, pulled the circuit board and rebuilt it. The use of 120 volts for heater power seemed very odd to me as I have had no experience with this type of circuit. My experience in overall electrical engineering is very limited and your kind advise got me back on track and the amp works perfectly now. I'm going to place it back into the cabinet once I rebuild a few things and will see how it sounds.
      Thanks for the help. I just wish I could figure out who made this amp originally!!
      Dave

Comment

Anyone else find it odd that there is not a capacitor going to the tweeter?

Comment

He says in post #1 that there is a 5UF/50V cap. I imagined that was for the tweeter, although the wording doesn't exactly say that.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yep, that’s my amps twin. Still unknown lineage

Comment

Anyone ever figure out who makes these amps? I have one too, not exactly the same, but clearly the same maker, and I can't find anything on it. This is the closest I've come to finding any info. Click image for larger version

Name:	20240102_160615.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	991637
              Attached Files

Comment

Sorry deebojones. I see more differences between your amp and the amp in the thread than I do similarities.

For one thing whomever made the amp in the thread doesn't know what a microphone is. Having shortened it to "Mike" (odd). Whomever made your amp didn't suffer the same degree of incorrect translation.

Print graphics and nomenclature are different, the knobs are different. The covering is different material. The grill is different material. There's actually nothing cosmetically to indicate these amps are made by the same source except for the expanded metal in front of the grill cloth. I don't think it's a stretch that two different people would have done that.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                  Sorry deebojones. I see more differences between your amp and the amp in the thread than I do similarities.

For one thing whomever made the amp in the thread doesn't know what a microphone is. Having shortened it to "Mike" (odd). Whomever made your amp didn't suffer the same degree of incorrect translation.

Print graphics and nomenclature are different, the knobs are different. The covering is different material. The grill is different material. There's actually nothing cosmetically to indicate these amps are made by the same source except for the expanded metal in front of the grill cloth. I don't think it's a stretch that two different people would have done that.
                  I can't remember the manufacturer of this podium amp.

Comment

Working...
                  X